Chapter 7

‘So, where are we going?’ her voice rang out like a bell.

Zayn laughed at her enthusiasm.

‘Just sit tight, you’ll see’.

‘I think I’ve had enough surprises today.’ She countered and he could only smile and retort, ‘Well, you’re about to get another one.’

Zayn began driving, keeping his eyes fixated on the road. It was a nice night. The sky was clear and midnight blue like velvet with stars usually invisible in the city, but clear as diamonds tonight. They sat together in comfortable silence, listening to their breathing and the gentle hum of the car. It was Zayn who began their conversation.

‘There’s been something on my mind since we first met’ he started, his eyes never leaving the wide expanse of road stretched in front of him.

‘Yes?’ Ariella asked, her curiosity rising.

‘You just seemed so…scared. Are you sure everything is okay?’ he felt a constriction in his chest with an unnamed emotion and he found himself holding his breath.

‘Everything is fine. I was just quite disorientated that day. I honestly don’t remember most of what happened’, she said with some hesitation. She sounded sad and Zayn immediately got cross at himself for bringing up the topic.

‘So, have you guessed where we’re going yet?’ he asked in a desperate attempt to change the conversation.

‘No idea, I just assumed we would be going to a restaurant or something’ she stated honestly.

‘Nope’ he said a smile in his voice.

He was strangely apprehensive about her reaction, but she had plagued his thoughts since they first met and he wanted this to be special. He even made a specific call when she was talking to her Dad. He’d just have to contain his excitement. As he rounded the corner, he noticed that they had arrived at their promised destination.

‘We’re here! First things first, I need to check something before we go up. I’m all for simplicity, but tonight I’m making an exception’ and with that he pulled up at a large and distinctive building before leaping out and telling her to ‘stay here’.

With Ariella waiting patiently in his car, he ran inside. On edge, Zayn tapped his foot in the elevator until it stopped at his apartment. Racing inside he called to Nina, his housekeeper.

‘It’s done,’ came her gruff, accented voice as a stout, middle aged woman thumped up to him. He didn’t remember ever seeing her smile before.

‘Thank you so much, Nina’ he smiled at the Spanish woman and darted up to the roof to make sure everything was perfect.

Making a few adjustments to suit his own tastes, he smiled inwardly as a rush of butterflies knotted in his stomach.

‘Hey Nina!’ he called, ‘the rest of the night is yours’.

She grunted before turning her back and taking her leave, followed by Zayn who was going to collect Ariella downstairs, nervously wringing his hands together. He’d never done something like this before for a girl and he hoped to God it would turn out right. The night was going to be interesting he thought. A new experience for both of them.

Zayn spotted his car and jogged over, taking her hand and escorting her to the rooftop.

                                                                              *

I sat in the car, absentmindedly stroking the seat where Zayn had sat only moments ago.

‘I’m all for simplicity, but tonight I’m making an exception’. What did he mean? I began pondering over all the possibilities.