Chapter 10

I lay on my bed surrounded by cushions. Lucy sat at my feet eating an ice cream. It was 2 hours after the crowd had left and I was feeling like myself. With that new certainty, I felt like it was time to open up to Lucy about Drew. I had already filled her in about the fans after she demanded to know as it was ‘her legal right and obligation as a best friend’.

She also insisted on watching a movie (preferably a Disney classic) to take my mind off it, but I refused, however made popcorn anyway. Slowly lifting some sweet popcorn to my mouth, I paused, ate, chewed, swallowed and began.

‘Lucy?’

‘Hmm’ she answered, her mouth over-flowing with cold creamy heaven.

‘Well, y’know how I told you about the fans..’ I started.

‘Yeah’ she prompted, raising her eyebrows expectantly.

‘See, D-drew. He ah—He came and got rid of the mob and started talking to Zayn’ I waited for her outburst. After a screaming flail of curses and blasphemy, the swearing died down and she stilled.

‘Why the hell was he here?’ she demanded. ‘He didn’t come in the house, did he?’ I nodded, feeling like a fool.

‘I was unconscious and Alec didn’t even notice.’

‘That’s because Alec can’t tell the difference between a horse and a pony, for god’s sake!’ She fumed, taking it out on the ice cream which was promptly shoved into her face. She chewed through the brain freeze.

‘Don’t be so mad’ I began, hating seeing her upset.

‘I’m not mad at you. You were unconscious. What did he want from Zayn?’

‘If I tell you will you calm down?’

‘No I will not!’ she shouted stubbornly.

After a hard stare, she backed down and nodded silently.

‘He asked to get some experience as a touring drummer. He’s going to be at rehearsals tomorrow.’

Lucy’s face turned bright red and she couldn’t hold back. She wailed.

‘You do realise why he’s going to all this effort? Drummer my as—‘

‘Hold on a minute, he seemed okay. Maybe it’s all a coincidence, the stalker stuff. I mean, who in their right mind would stalk me. Not that I’m flattered. It’s creepy as hell.’

‘Hey, hold up. You’re a good looking girl. You just don’t see it. I just don’t get how you’re so chilled out about this.’ She frowned, looking like an angry Tinkerbell. I smiled.

‘What?’

‘Nothing’ I smirked.

She raised her left eyebrow, but let it drop. My phone buzzed in my pocket and as I pulled it out to retrieve it, I saw a text from Zayn.

Hey rehearsals tomorrow, working on some new stuff. Want to come by and watch, then grab something to eat later?

‘He wants me to go to rehearsals tomorrow. What do I do? Drew’s going to be there. Well, Matt, but whatever.’

‘Make up an excuse; say you’re doing something with me. And who’s Matt?’

‘Nah, I’ll feel bad lying. I’m a terrible one’

‘Fair enough, but this is Drew we’re talking about. He’d understand if he knew.’

‘If he knew, Drew wouldn’t be at rehearsals. Period. And Matt is his new name now. Matt Tallis apparently.’