Chapter 3

Ariella ~

The next morning was perfect. I woke up as sunlight streamed into my room, blinding me. I went downstairs for breakfast and was politely greeted and invited to a deliciously prepared meal of croissants with jam. The smell of coffee clung in the air and I felt refreshed from my early night last night. I picked out a croissant and began slicing it in half and smearing jam inside.

‘Morning sunshine’ I smiled at Alec who had just woken up from what appears to be a rough night.

My little brother has suffered from insomnia since he was 7 years old. Now a moody 15 year old, he’s learnt to deal with it in more ways than one. His progression is ‘coming along quite nicely’, or so Dad says. My dad is the single greatest man in my eyes; aside from Alec who doesn’t count (he’s not a man yet). As a doctor, he saves people’s lives and helps improve their future. In fact, I’ve been told we look very similar. Always caring and loving, I can’t imagine a time when he’s not been with us.

My mother on the other hand is a different story, and one I’ve learnt to move on from. She left us when I was the tender age of 8 and little Alec only 5. Now ten years on, I feel like forgive and forget is an appropriate term for the situation. I don’t tend to hold grudges, but I was more devastated that she could leave a little boy and man who was besotted with her. Heartless. From a young age, I assumed responsibility of Alec and my father. A dark, weary shadow crossed my face.

‘You okay?’ Alec asked, concerned by the frown that settled on my face.

‘Yeah, I’m fine. I was just thinking about some stuff’ I replied, plastering on a bright smile. ‘Anyway,’ I began, motioning to the food, ‘help yourself. You have to fatten up’ I joked.

‘Yeah, yeah.I think you mean I need to muscle up.’ He retorted as he swiftly swept up a croissant and began dipping it in his freshly-brewed coffee.

‘What is all this even about?’ he questioned seating himself opposite me.

‘The Charity Gala tonight, I think. It’s still doesn’t explain why we have this massive breakfast though. Hmm, methinks Dad has an ulterior motive’ I smiled, raising an eyebrow questioningly.

‘You could be right.’ He smiled. ‘Anyway, I got a text from him earlier’

‘Earlier..?’ I asked, confused. ‘By earlier do you mean at 3 in the morning when you’re still awake.’

‘Hey, I’m working on that. But no, earlier as in before you woke up. That’s all you need to know’. He paused, taking a bite and a long gulp of coffee. He knows I worry about him, I thought.

‘Do continue.’ I pressed on, wiping my face clear of any emotion.

‘He just said that he was at work and to meet him at the Gala’ he said, stifling a yawn. 

‘No problem. So,’ I began ‘Do you have a date?’ I smiled and wiggled my eyebrows up and down in a suggestive way. He just blushed and looked down. Knowing he wouldn’t expand, I decided to do it myself.

‘Have you asked Carla out yet?’ Blunt and to the point.

‘No. And I’m not going to.’ He said with a stubborn tilt of his chin.

‘Fine, fine’ I said, holding my hands in the air in mock defeat. ‘Anyway, see you later. I’m meeting Lucy’.

I rose up, and carried my plate to the sink. Leaving the room and Alec behind, I promptly ran into my bedroom. I pulled on a pair of grey skinny jeans, a sleeveless black and white polka dot blouse with a denim shirt on top, rolling up the sleeves for good measure. This accompanied by a pair of worn converse and some bracelets and I was ready. Morning prep aside with my teeth brushed and face washed, I put a little make-up on, scooped up my hair in a messy ponytail and headed out. All the while, unaware of a pair of azure blue eyes…

                                                                            *

It was his worst morning yet. His eyes adjusted slowly to the darkness of the Hotel room he was in. Zayn took his time stretching, slowly taking in his unfamiliar surroundings. Pain lanced in his head and throbbed, spreading and searing everything it touched. Untangling  himself from the various limbs spread across and over his body, he sat up rubbing his eyes. He didn’t even want to think of last night. Too late, he thought, as memories of dancing and drinking on repeat played though his mind. Yawning, he stopped himself from groaning aloud as he felt a sharp pain in his lip. There was a fight? He wondered. Probably. What time was it anyway? He glanced down at his watch and saw it was 1 in the afternoon. He cursed under his breath. At the back of his mind he knew he had somewhere to be or something to do. The Gala, of course he thought. He had time.

Zayn stood up, forcing down the wave of nausea. Righting himself, he walked away from the bed he had woken up on. A multitude of girls sprawled, still unconscious on the floor, over the bed, everywhere visible to the eye.  He smiled and stalked off to find the rest of the boys.

It didn’t take long for him to find them. Niall, Louis and Liam were all seated at a table eating breakfast.  He sat down next to Niall. Each of them looked rugged as they helped themselves to toast and cereal. Liam was the only one looking half decent, Zayn would even say fresh faced. Of course, this was always the case as Liam didn’t drink alcohol.

‘Harry?’ Zayn grunted.

‘Not awake yet, mate’ Louis explained.

‘Ugh man I’m exhausted. Last night was…’ Niall stopped and they looked at each other, before bursting out laughing.

Zayn noticed a brunette come round form the room he had just left. She boldly came up to him and draped herself over his arm.

‘Hey’ she sighed huskily and let out a lusty yawn.

‘Hi’ he nodded his head, brushing her off. She stayed put and began nibbling on his ear. The irritating girl wouldn’t leave. What was her name..?

‘Tanya. Could you just leave us for a bit please.’ Zayn interrupted her embarrassing fondling.

Her face fell and her eyes brimmed over with tears. Looking ready to curl up and sob she let out a whimper. ‘My name is Tina’ she said harshly, and turned to stomp out.

He ignored her. Turning back to the boys, he smirked. There was a silence as Harry walked in grinning wickedly. Laughter burst out again as he joined the table.

‘You know, the strangest thing happened yesterday.’ Zayn began.

‘Zayn,  a lot of strange things happened yesterday.’ Louis started; ‘To what exactly are you referring to’ he smiled mischievously.

‘No this was before the club. I was at the studio alone waiting for you guys to come’ he momentarily faltered, ‘where were you guys anyway?’

‘We stopped because I was hungry’ Niall stated proudly.

‘Well, I bumped into this girl. Her name was Ariella. She was just, like, really cool, Y’know?’ he looked at the guys. They looked at Zayn and then at each other.

Louis started, ‘I’m Zayn, I think I’m in love’ he cooed, mimicking Zayn’s Bradford accent.

‘She’s just so gorgeous. I get butterflies thinking about her’ Niall said in fits of laughter.

Liam turned to Zayn, nodding his head at the boys to show his disapproval.

‘Oh Ariella, I would love to see you again. You’re so beautiful, Ariella’ Harry said, however he took up an American accent.

The band sat together joking for the next half hour until they finally got up to leave. Niall, still anxious for a proper brunch complete with scones, waffles and omelettes. He sighed getting side tracked. Mm delicious pancakes, French toast, sticky buns, bagels… He began muttering under his breath, whirled away in a torrid fantasy about spending an entire weekend eating to his heart’s content.

Harry, picking up on the whispers of French toast and pancakes, nodded enthusiastically.

‘Great idea Niall. Let’s get something proper to eat’.