Chapter 1

Author's Note

Firstly, I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to read this. It means a lot to me. If anyone has any queries, advice etc. then I'd love if you could leave comments. I also follow back to everyone and anyone - the more the merrier! If you read this story and think 'that was ok' then I'll still love to here about it. Comments are really important to me so I know what I'm doing right/wrong. Through this it'll help me grow and develop as a writer. And if you enjoy this (like I hope) then let me know. I make no promises though haha. I'm aware this might not be to your normal liking but give it a chance and see where it goes...

Thank you, and happy reading! :)  

I ran, my heart racing as my vision blurred. Blindly, I turned the corner of the street. Once again, stumbling I looked back. A dark figure descended closer. His features were hardly visible, apart from the two azure blue eyes I had once adored. Panic swept over me and I broke out in a sprint, my energy unleashed for as long as I could keep going. My mind registered the brief outline of a door on my right, carved into the side of a building. Without thought, I stumbled in…

Glad to be indoors, a sense of vulnerability claimed me, as I realised I had walked into what could potentially be unauthorised. I looked around for any clues, and found myself to be in a music room of some sort. Rows upon rows of instruments were stacked up the sides of the wall, looking as though they would topple over. A dull calming sense seeped into me. Just as my heart rate began to slow into a steady, normal rhythm a bang from the door caused me to leap. Afraid to stay and be at risk of him finding me, I left the music room. Breaking into a sprint I searched for an exit. The corridor was plain with doors and various labels on them: Dressing room and stage frequently appeared. Not pondering on these subtle hints, I ran faster my determination knowing no bounds. Running, running, running. I could picture him closing in on me, trapping me, hurting me… Thud! I bumped into a hard figure. Breaking into a panic, could it be him? I thought. My heart pounded and the room spun, fading into the dark of oblivion…

I awoke, acutely aware of the dull throbbing in my temples. My eyes hesitantly fluttered open. Momentarily I wondered where I was, until all previous thoughts resurfaced. My heart sped up and I gasped as a figure rose from the chair opposite me. My eyes, still heavy from awakening, had not yet registered the events. My breathing shortened into fast, sharp intakes of breath.

‘N-no.’ I muttered weakly, unable to find the words to tell him to leave me alone. For months he had been following her, this strange boy. Almost stalking her, and only once had she come in contact with him, and it was deadly. He had tried to corner her at her friend’s party, his thick hands around her throat, whispering taunts and jeers. She almost threw up, nudging him with her elbow and escaping from under his arms.

‘It’s fine. I’m not going to hurt you. How do you feel?’ came the deeply soothing reply.

I looked up, locking eyes with a boy. Relief slammed into me and my mind caught up with the situation. I t wasn’t him. Instantly, I felt my body relax as I began to become aware of the situation. I muttered a simple; I’m fine, before backing away from the boy. He had his arms locked around my waist, in an almost protective gesture. The warmth banked in his brown eyes made me melt internally. They spoke of safety but also a wickedness I couldn’t ignore.

‘I’m sorry, I should go,’ I began

‘No problem, as long as you’re okay’ he said. There were undercurrents of sincerity in his voice, which surprised me.

‘I am. Would you mind telling me where I am please?’ I had to figure out where this place was and how I’d get home. Home. Sounds good, safe and secure. For now anyway.

‘The Empire Studio. Are you lost?’

‘No. Well, yes. I don’t know. It’s okay; I’ll find a way out thanks.’

‘Here, let me take you.’ He extended his arm out to me, in a gesture to take my hand. I shyly pulled away, looking down. I couldn’t forget that he was a stranger and I couldn’t trust him or anyone right now.

‘You lead and I’ll follow’ I muttered as he stalked on ahead.

He turned back and looked at me.

‘I’m Zayn’ he smiled.

Momentarily forgetting my own name, I answered.

‘I’m Ariella, nice to meet you’ I said politely, to mask my curiosity. His name sounded familiar. Bells were ringing in my head. Studio, dressing room, stage and now Zayn. Uh oh.

‘Are you the Zayn from One direction?’ I asked feeling stupid, my cheeks heating. I was always more absorbed in books and novels than bands and music.

‘I am the Zayn from One direction’ he laughed. The sound was altogether enchanting and enthralling.

Blushing, I kept quiet from the rest of the journey to the exit door, thankful that he decided not to converse either.

‘Here we are.’ He pointed to a large door where security guards monitored.

‘Thank you. You didn’t have to do that’

‘Yep, but I wanted to. I can’t resist a damsel in distress’ he joked. Smiling and feeling awkward as the security guards decided to eavesdrop; I thanked him again and turned to leave. Just as I had almost reached the door, he called out. I looked back at him and saw he was walking towards me in determination. 

‘Ariella,’ he began, almost savouring my name on his tongue. Odd, I thought. Ignoring this I listened to what he had to say. ‘Maybe we could swap numbers.  Y’know, to check up if you’re okay and stuff.’

I hesitated for a moment. Should I give him my number and risk everything I had been trying to secure? The safety of my future. After all, I was being followed, stalked; I didn’t need another boy to complicate things further. Especially ones from boy bands that could mean trouble.  

I shrugged with a forced casualness. Just as I was about to decline, my phone began to ring in my pocket. Swiftly pulling it out, I checked the Caller ID. Lucy. My stomach sank. The Charity Gala tomorrow , I’m going to be late setting up, I thought frantically.

‘Sorry, I have to take this’ I murmured, not daring to look into his eyes in fear that I might not answer the phone. Turning, I walked off, answered the phone and tried to shake off the hollow feeling in my chest.