Chapter 16

Watching Zayn’s face in those seconds was near impossible. I held my breath as I watched his long lashes – which I envied to no avail – flutter down.

‘We’re going round in circles. This has to stop. If you think we should take a break, then fine. But you’re still mine and for me. Don’t forget that. The only reason I’m going through with this is so you realise what you’ll lose if we part permanently. And I can’t let you slip through my hands again.’

My heart lurched with his words and I felt painfully empty and devoid of emotion. Numb.

I opened my mouth to speak, eyes glazing over with tears.

‘I had a plan Ariella. I would have made it work. We could have been good, you and I. Could’ve been good’ he whispers brokenly and it takes all my energy not to break down and cry my heart out.

‘I-ah. I-‘ I began, my voice shaking as I tried to overcome the lump in my throat.

‘You don’t understand how important you are to me. I don’t like talking about my feelings, but with you I forget. I forget about the fame, money, and all the ropes that tie me down. I can be free. You’re so special, if you could finally open your eyes and see yourself the way the world does. You’re like the beautiful flower that grows at the side of a pavement. Everyone who walks by it swerves so they don’t crush it and take the time to admire the beauty in such a harsh reality. It’s not that same as a field of wildflowers, where you could run and trample down a lot but it wouldn’t matter, there are so many more. But Ariella, there’s only one you. The only one I want’

My heart broke a little more and my soul shattered and splintered.

‘Zayn.’ I began, repeating to myself the 3 words and 8 letters that would make him mine. ‘I have to be honest with you and myself.’ Swallowing thickly , overcome with emotion I speak.

 ‘I love you Zayn Malik. Every look, every touch. Every lyric you sing and every breath you breathe. I want you with the force of a million stars and I will never stop loving. And loving means hurting. I need you like air and water. I need you like the sun needs the moon and the stars need the sky. Zayn Malik, I love you. I love you more than life’ I whisper as I break down into a river of tears.

‘Then baby, don’t do this’ he says softly, cupping my face.

Resting my head into his neck, I sob quietly unable to stop. His firm hands come and massage my shoulders, rubbing and pressing the right spots to make me sigh.

‘I love you Ariella. And whatever we face, we face together. Baby, you just gotta have the courage for love. We’re so lucky to have this and we have to cherish it.  I will love you infinitely.’ Just then Zayn started laughing and I turned a curious look to him.

He scrubbed his large hand down his face and smiled. ‘God this all sounds so cheesy’. I started laughing as well after reflecting on how deep our conversation had gotten.

‘But it’s all true, babe. I’m here for you. For us.’ He whispers his face hardens and he looks serious.

‘I’m willing to keep trying if you are. I don’t want to drag you into something you’re not into.’

He smiled gently. ‘Honey, have you not heard what I just said? I just devoted myself to you and you doubting that? Sweetheart, of course I want to’ he exclaims and pulls me down for a hard kiss.

His mouth sears over mine and I tingle inside and out to know this amazing guy loves me. He loves me. A thrill runs through me and I clutch at him tighter, drawing him down to press fully against me. He kisses me hard, bruising my lips, punishing me for my doubts.

The chemistry between us sizzles and cracks in the air like something very real and very alive. My heart skips a beat as his tongue tastes mine. He nuzzles my neck softly, changing from rough to gentle in seconds. Zayn trails kisses along my jaw and at the corners of my mouth. I instantly go weak, my knees parting and my legs falling open of their own accord.

Zayn swoops in, his large hands trailing over my body making me squirm and ache at the same time. Warmth pools and I need him to touch me everywhere, and yet it somehow doesn’t feel like enough.

‘Zayn I—‘

‘Ssh’ he whispers gruffly against my ear, sending shivers down my spines. One of his hands comes over my breast and he sqeezes roughly. I gasp as his mouth claims mine and arch fully into him.

He groans, both a pained and aroused sound and I moan against him. I can tell he likes this as I feel him smile into my mouth.

I’ve never gone the full way with anyone, and am a virgin. Matt was the only person I had ever dated and our experience was limited to a few kisses that had no spark or heat.

As Zayn’s hands venture down further, I gasp as they reach the zipper to my jeans.  Tearing my mouth from his, my breathing erratic and my lips flushed, I shake my head.

‘Too far? Sorry El. It’s just that with you I get carried away and forget myself.’

‘No Zayn, it was amazing. It’s me. I haven’t…well y’know…’ I fumble and stare at my hands.

I hear his indrawn breath as he realises that I’ve never been that far with a boy before. The one time Matt tried to grope me, I had shouted at him scared of the speed he was going at. But with Zayn it was somehow different. I could feel that he had my best intentions close to his heart.

‘You’re a virgin’ he stated, though it came out more like a question.

‘Well, yeah’ I say, looking into his intense gaze, blushing.

He takes my hands in his and pulls me in for a hug.

‘There’s nothing to be shy about. I actually admire and respect you so much more. And I’ll never push you, not until you’re ready. God, I don’t deserve you’ he says.

I cup his face in my hands shaking my head.

‘Don’t ever say anything like that! Have you seen yourself Zayn? Perfection doesn’t even come close’

‘You think I’m perfect?’ he asked, slightly awed.

‘Nope, perfection is too overrated. Perfect is what you make it and you’re too good to be true’ I lie my head against his chest.

‘God baby, I love you so much’

‘Me too Zayn’ I smile, suddenly feeling like everything was right in the world.

‘We’ll get through this’ he whispers.