Chapter 5

6pm came soon and Zayn found himself thinking of ways to distract himself from his loss earlier that day. The boys had tried to talk with him, but from fear of being humiliated he kept his answers clipped and tight-lipped. He didn’t want to go out today, least of all to a Charity Gala where he had to smile and act as if everything was okay. He planned to fume the entire evening and maybe get this girl out of his head. He didn’t understand the effect she had on him. No other girl had affected him like this and she had earned her own private corner in his mind where he would subconsciously find himself thinking about her. He dressed in a smart, formal evening suit, complete with a mood and matching scowl.

The night would soon be over, he repeated in a twisted form of comfort. Unfortunately, it offered little hope. The ride to the venue was long and silent. Zayn’s tense mood had everyone uncomfortable. From time to time, Louis would let out a joke and Liam would make small talk. Arriving at the hall, all five of them walked in. A camera crew stood at the entrance and Zayn felt momentarily blinded by the flashing. A petite woman with a microphone came up to the band and Zayn assumed she was an interviewer.

‘It’s a surprise seeing you guys at such an important event. Tell me what you know about the Dubois Foundation?’ the woman’s voice challenged.

Harry opened his mouth to speak and the microphone was promptly thrust towards him. Zayn panicked as he had completely forgotten what Simon had said.

‘We are aware that it’s a charity that helps young children in 3rd world countries like Africa and was set up by the Dubois family who we look forward to meeting.’ Harry countered throwing the interviewer a smile before walking off, the band closely followed behind him.

‘Well said Harold’ said Louis, ‘I didn’t even know you were paying attention to Simon.’

‘I wasn’t.’ Harry laughed as they entered the reception.

The evening dragged out at the beginning and the Dubois family hadn’t made an appearance yet. The only person they had met was Lucinda, a flighty young woman who was playing hostess in place of Doctor Derek Dubois, who had ‘a big announcement to make’.

                                                                                *

Ariella ~

‘What!’ I exclaimed, more of a statement rather than a question.

‘I am not going out there in front of hundreds of people making the introduction. I won’t do it’ my voice shook with fear and anger.

It wasn’t fair; Dad knows I don’t do public speeches. ‘Why can’t Alec do it?’ I asked, lowering my voice.

‘You are the eldest, it’s your responsibility to represent me at this Gala. I will not have you embarrass my name or the charity. If not for me then do it for the children in Africa.’

I stared at him horrified that he would even bring them up in an uncompromising situation like this. I sighed knowing I wouldn’t win this fight. I didn’t appreciate the way he sprung it up on me.

‘You know it’s for your own good. You’ll overcome your confidence issues as well. Why else do you think I told you last minute? So you wouldn’t worry of course.’ He answered himself.

Comprehension dawned on me as I realised that was the meaning of the amazing breakfast this morning. Explaining this to him, he simply replied ‘Exactly. Now be ready in five.'

I froze as the horror of what I’d have to do suddenly hit me. I struggled to breathe. I didn’t have anything prepared. I was going to be sick, I realised. It’s fine I’ll just be sick on the stage I rambled sarcastically in my head not knowing how to deal with the situation. I was on the brink of hysteria.

Tears filled my eyes and my heart palpitated as was usual when I had to make speeches. I had always been like this. Since school I was never good at saying speeches or talks. I swallowed all of my insecurities and readied myself to step out on the stage. Cool, calm and collected.  I controlled my emotions so I appeared as relaxed as possible – something I was good at. As a child I had a lot of practise hiding my emotions having to stay strong for Alec when Mum left. Improvisation was an area I was sorely lacking in, but I wouldn’t let it show. Closing my eyes I inhaled deep breaths. Just as I was about to walk on the stage, a voice caused me to stop. Turning I looked into the worried eyes of Alec.

‘Where’s Lucy?’ I asked, needing someone to keep me sane.

‘On her way. Sorry about this, if you want I can—‘,He paused as I held a hand up.

‘No need, let’s just get this done with’ I replied. If he dared show me a hint of concern I knew I’d waver and it would be my undoing.

I faced one of my greatest fear yet, oblivious to the trial that lay ahead.

                                                                              *

Boredom. Zayn Malik stood leaning against the bar at the furthest part of the room, partly lurking in the shadows. Boredom, he thought miserably, was the worst. His mind was in another place, another time. He raised his hand to his eyes rubbing frantically, convinced lack of sleep was getting to him. Because at the moment, a lovely vision crept into his view.

He knew he simply hadn’t fabricated this, as even he who had a talent for art and a keen eye, couldn’t resurface memories of Ariella this perfectly. He remained still, however. Motionless he gazed as she walked purposefully onto the stage. His breathing had quickened and his heart raced. He knew for certain they were meant to meet. Why else would their worlds overlap? A new thought struck him. She must be a Dubois. If he thought she looked beautiful before then she was stunning tonight. Her breath-taking eyes mesmerized her audience.

She smiled politely but there wasn’t the usual sparkle in her eyes. Her hair was long, black and flowing around her in loose curls. Her warm complexion looked paler than usual, but he couldn’t deny the attraction there. She licked her lips hesitantly. I took deep breaths calming myself and trying unsuccessfully to slow down my heart rate. She was wearing a beautiful white floor length dress, with silver embroidery at the bottom, melding elegantly to the curves on her hips and went in daringly narrow where her waist was. She looked angelic, he thought.

She cleared her throat and began speaking. He couldn’t hear a word she said, his mind caught up in her husky sweet voice. She spoke gently and made eye contact to the crowd, but Zayn felt like she wasn’t actually seeing, just looking on the surface. She was a clear speaker with a voice that could soothe him to sleep, but not in the boring way. It held a melodic tone and her brief pauses were driving him crazy.

He wanted desperately to shout ‘I’m here’ and get her attention. He couldn’t help but notice how captivated the rest of the crowd was, the males in particular. Casting a glance over at the boys they looked awe-struck. He groaned fighting a possessive wave. He didn’t even care about his feelings at this point, but casually shrugged them off, turning his attention back to the stage now. She was finishing up, he noticed.

Just as she called her father on stage she looked up and her gaze met Zayn’s. He didn’t realise that he was holding his breath. Why did she affect him like this? He wondered absentmindedly. There gazes locked for a while and Zayn broke the spell by winking. She immediately blushed that same pretty rose and let her father take centre stage as she walked off. He was compelled to follow.