Chapter 6

I saw him again, I thought. 3 times in two days. That was strange. My hands were shaking and my legs felt weak, unable to hold myself up for longer, I slumped on a chair. He seemed to have a power over her; why else would he make me feel so…alive? I shivered remembering the mysterious and aloof way he stood, separate from everyone else and his face half hidden in the shadows. My heart hadn’t recovered and was still thumping.

Calming myself, I went in search of Lucy and a glass of water to settle my nerves and my stomach.

As I hurried on the floor, I was greeted by a number of my father’s associates. I held my tongue and politely smiled and moved on.  I retrieved a glass of water from one of the waiters who very kindly left his station in search of one for me.

‘It’s fine, if you could just tell me where I could get—‘ he cut me off murmuring how it would be his pleasure. He left me there, and unsure of what to do, I just waited feeling slightly awkward.

As I stood, I leant against a nearby table, nodding in acknowledgement as people passed me and smiled.

‘Hello’ said a deep and rumbling voice.

I nearly jumped out of my skin and had to supress the urge to scream. I tilted my head to the side to see where the voice came from. Standing in front of me was none other than Zayn Malik.

‘Hi’ I replied. How was it that I felt so unsure around him, more so than usual?

‘We’ve met before. At the studio.’ He began.

I nodded feeling like a fool. ‘We did’ I confirmed.

‘So, what brings you here? I wasn’t expecting this surprise’ I said, glad my voice wasn’t shaking.

‘A pleasant one I hope’ he smiled, teasing. ‘We’re her on behalf of Simon Cowell, our manager’

‘We?’ I asked confused.

‘One Direction. There standing over there. I’ll introduce you to them’ he smiled again pointing to the opposite end of the hall. I instantly felt better when he smiled. Remembering the waiter was coming for me, I hesitated.

‘Actually, someone was getting something for me. It would be rude if I left.’ I explained.

‘Uh uh, you’re not getting out of this one’ he laughed.

‘It’s the truth, I promise!’ I felt myself laughing.

‘Fine’ he agreed and leaned over to whisper something in another waiter’s ear before taking hold of my elbow and leading me forward.

‘What did you say to him?’ I asked curious.

‘Do you always ask this many questions?’

‘Only when I’m with famous celebrities. Anyway, you can’t answer my question with a question. It’s against the rules’ I stated smiling up at his teasing face. I melted internally.

He swiftly avoided the question as I was pulled to a halt. I felt very warm and comfortable with his strong hand on my arm. As the band noticed us, he pulled his hand away. I felt cold air rush forward and almost gasped at the loss.

‘Guys, this is Ariella’ Zayn said introducing me. I hated getting introduced, it was always very awkward.

‘Hello’ I answered to the various hi’s and hey’s they gave in return. I blushed and unconsciously took hold of Zayn’s hand.

I feared it would be very tense but they were all very welcoming and inviting.

‘So, you’re the famous Ariella’ one with a mischievous grin and glint in his eye said.