I'm A Walking Travesty (All Time Low Fanfic) - Chapter One

Valarie’s P.O.V

I lifted the cardboard box up in one arm while wheeling my suitcase along behind be as I left my dorm room. I turned back to make sure I hadn’t forgotten anything before closing and locking the wooden door behind me. I carted my stuff down to the admin office and handed in my dorm key. I took a deep breath before pushing the glass door open with my back and stepping into the fresh autumn air.

I shoved the box, my suitcase and my guitar bag into the drunk of my beat up brown sedan before climbing into the front seat. I turned the radio up and plugged my hands-free headphones into my phone before dialing Freddy’s number.

“Valarie!” She squealed through the receiver.

“Guess what?!” I screamed nearly as loudly as her.

“What?”

“I’m out! College is all over now!”

We both squealed at the same time and I swerved to miss a car driving in the opposite direction.

“So what are you going to do now?” she asked.

“I was wondering if I could crash at your place for a bit, you know, until I get some money, a job, a house. My parents live interstate and I don’t have the money to get there,” I said.

“Sure,” Freddy replied before I could even finish my sentence.

I hung up and drove the last few blocks to Freddy’s house, pulling up on the gutter and unloading all my stuff onto her sofa.

“So, where am I sleeping?” I asked, slumping into an armchair.

“The couch. It folds out.” She replied.

I dumped my junk on the floor and helped her unfold and make my bed.

“I think we should go out,” Freddy said, “To celebrate your new freedom!”

I shrugged my shoulders and she pulled me into her bedroom. I sat down on her bed as she rummaged through her closet, pulling out dresses and throwing them at me. I had tried on about twenty dresses before I decided I’d go in skinny jeans and a leather jacket. With a grimace, Freddy agreed and pulled on one of the dresses for herself. Forcing me to wear bright red heels that we so high I couldn’t feel my toes anymore; Freddy and I left the house.

She drove the two of us to a small bar with a broken, flashing neon sign that was meant to say THE BENDED ELBOW but actually said HE ENDED E BO.  Stepping inside, I really wished I hadn’t agreed to wearing the shoes I had because the heel got stuck in a crack in the floorboards.

“Freddy, little problem,” I said.

I tried to yank my foot out without making it obvious to everyone else that I was stuck. She looked down at my foot, suppressing a laugh before yanking my foot out of the crack for me. We kept walking towards a small two-person table near the bar. Some guy was singing and playing a seriously out of tune guitar in the corner and I had to force myself not to go tune the guitar for him.

“Want do you want?” Freddy asked.

“I’ll have a beer thanks,” I replied.

Freddy’s P.O.V

I darted my way around tables and chairs towards the bar and ordered our drinks from a cute bartender. He handed me to full glasses of light beer and as I started to head back to our table I felt someone tap on my shoulder. I turned around, being careful not to spill the beers to see Samantha and Sof, the twins who I had met while playing a gig not that long ago.

“Sam! Sof! It’s been so long!” I squealed, hugging them.

“I know!” Sam replied.

“How’s Alex?” I asked, giving her a sly looked.

She winked at me before looking over at the table I had come from.

“Who’s your friend?” Sof asked.

“Valarie. Just finished college. She’s a guitar tech looking for a job.”

The three of us headed back to the table where Valarie was sitting by herself. She looked up when we arrived and I handed her her beer.

“This is Sof and Sam. They have a job offer for you.”