Chapter 12

After my parents signed me out, I found myself awkwardly in the back of my dad’s car. Arms crossed and angry expression on my face, I stared down passing cars. The ride was silent except for the light radio in the background. When we got home, I wasted no time in running to my room. “Chastity!” my father roared. “Get back down in ten minutes or we’re coming up!” I groaned softly to myself. Kayla wasn’t home, so I very well couldn’t go over her house, and it’d just be weird to be alone with her mom. I sighed and after a minute or so, slowly walked out of my room and down to the kitchen where my parents were drinking coffee at the table.

“You have five minutes before I tune out,” I told them bluntly.

“Chastity Anne! We are your parents! You will not speak to us in that tone!” my mother scolded me. I narrowed my eyes at her for a minute before I turned my head to my dad who was red in the face from anger.

“Last I checked, you weren’t my parent,” I said to her without breaking eye contact with my dad.

“Don’t talk to your mother that way!” he scolded me.

“Why shouldn’t I? Where has she been all of my life, huh? As far as I’m concerned, she lost her rights as my mother the day that she left,” I shouted.

“Chastity, honey, you don’t understand— “ she started.

“Oh I understand perfectly, you left for no reason, and now you’re back and want in on my life well guess what? It’s not going to happen okay? Just give it up!”

“That’s it!” my father shouted red faced. “Go to your room and don’t come out until you are ready to discuss this maturely!”

“Fine! I will!” I shouted back and stormed up to my room. I knew that I was being childish, but I couldn’t help it. Just seeing her infuriated me. I couldn’t help but be angry, and my dad was just letting her back in! No questions asked!

I looked at my clock, it was still only fifth period at school, and I couldn’t very well go back. I didn’t want to pull Kayla away from Ricky, and Poppy and I have been oddly distant since Chase’s party when she got together with Nate. After I thought for a moment I pulled out my phone to text Chase, and have him meet me at the mall. I then dropped my purse out the window, stuck my phone in my bra, climbed expertly out of my window, and scaled the tree with only a little difficulty. Landing on all fours, I surveyed the area before I made a mad dash for my car.

My father heard the ignition start and came out just in time to se me drive away. I smirked at his shrinking figure in the rearview mirror. “Bastards,” I muttered under my breath. I tuned the radio onto 96.1 and relaxed in my seat. There would be hell to pay when I got home later, after all, it was the second time I had run away from this confrontation, but at that moment all I cared about was ignoring the problem. I pulled into the parking lot, put on a pair of large black sunglasses, even though there was no sun, grabbed my purse and strutted out of my car like a super model.

In my head, I pretended that I was walking in slow motion, with my blonde hair fanned out behind me with the wind, and it fell perfectly when the wind stopped. I waved at Chase when I saw him leant against his car, a few parking spaces ahead. “Damn,” he breathed. “I don’t know what’s getting into me, but that was hot.”

“You must be falling for me,” I smirked.

He laughed, “I doubt it. C’mon, tell me what happened over a second lunch.” We linked our arms together and walked into the mall.

A little while later, we were at California Pizza Kitchen treating ourselves to whatever we wanted. I had ordered cheese ravioli and Chase, true to the child inside of him, had ordered a kid’s pizza. “Now,” he said after a gulp of his Dr. Pepper. “Spill your guts.” So I told him all about my parents and how they were trying to take over my life.