Chapter 8

I couldn’t move a muscle. Everything around me grew so quiet and my senses dulled. All I seemed to be able to do was stare blankly at the number. It had been years, so long now that I could barely remember, since I had seen that number light up any phone. She had never called my cell, since she had left long before I had one, but I knew her number and put it in anyways with the hope that she might call. For the longest time I waited for it, dreamt about the day my mom would come back, and now when the time had finally come, I didn’t know what to do. “Chas? Are you okay?” Kayla asked me, her voice barely penetrating the silence that had formed around me. I hadn’t known Chase at the time, and Kayla had only just moved in, so neither of them could possibly understand the confusion I was feeling right then.

            I knew that talking to them would be pointless, they would try to empathize sure, but it wouldn’t help. “Chas, are you in there?” Chase asked faintly. My vision became spotted with all of the memories rushing back, the nights that I cried in my room wondering why I wasn’t good enough, the times I spent pouring my soul out into Poppy’s shoulder, and all of the times that I swore I would never cry again. It became too much to handle, and before I could completely register what was going on, I blacked out.

            A few hours later, I woke up in Chase’s room with an earsplitting headache. “What happened?” I groaned.

            “Well, your mom called, you kind of went dead to the world, and fainted,” Kayla explained.

            “Oh wow, how long was I out?” I asked.

            “Just shy of three hours,” Chase replied coming into the room with a glass of water. “How are you feeling?”

            “Better I guess…” I trailed off. I didn’t exactly want to explain my reaction, but I knew I couldn’t avoid it forever. Chase ad Kayla shared a worried glance before turning back to me.

            “Do you wanna talk about it?” Kayla asked.

            “No, I’ll be fine…”

            “Are you sure?” Chase asked. I knew he was worried about me but I couldn’t open up to him about this just yet.

I nodded my head and took a sip of my water. “Don’t worry about me, I’m okay.” I tried to force a smile onto my face, but I could tell that neither of them believed me.

“Bullshit,” Kayla exclaimed the second the words left my mouth.

“Kayla!” Chase reprimanded her.

“What?” she asked.

“She obviously doesn’t want to talk about it, let it go.” Kayla shrugged and got up from the bed ‘Thank you’ I mouthed when she wasn’t looking. The slam of the door caused us both to jump and turn towards it. Kayla had left us alone in the room by ourselves.

“Use protection!” she yelled from outside. “And remember, abstinence is only 99.99999999999% effective!!” I rolled my eyes at the door before I started to get up.

“I should get home,” I said as I began making his bed for him.

“Don’t bother with that, I’m gonna sleep in it anyways,” he said batting my hands away from the sheets. “Are you sure that you’re okay? I’m sure Kayla would cover for you if you wanted to spend the night here.”

“It’s fine Chase, really. I’m just a bit,” I paused to find the right word. “Shocked, I guess.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” he asked.