Chapter 16

The next couple of weeks went by quicker and quicker as Christmas break came closer, until suddenly, it was here. Now, my family never did much for Christmas, seeing as it was usually only my dad and I, and sometimes my grandparents. All I knew was that this break, I needed to get away. “Dad,” I said quietly as I approached him a few weeks ago.

“What do you want?” he asked pointedly.

“Will you let Kayla and I drive to Denver for break?” I asked in the nicest way possible.

“And why do you want to go to Denver?” he asked.

“I need to get away, and it’s not like we’re flying anywhere, and it’d be a great way to escape all of the drama going home at school,” I rambled.

“Where will you be staying?” he grumbled, not looking up from his paper.

“Well, we thought that we could pitch in enough money, and maybe with a little bit from you, we might be able to pay for a cheap motel for a few days.”

“When do you want to leave?” he asked me.

“That’s the thing…” I trailed off. “Dad? Is it okay if I’m not home for Christmas?”

He stopped his reading, put the paper down, and looked at me. “You want to miss Christmas?” he asked in disbelief.

“Well, yeah seeing as we never make a huge deal about it anyways, and Kayla and I would be leaving Christmas Day so you’d still have me for Christmas Eve and stuff,” I had explained.

“As long as her parents are okay with it,” he muttered as he turned back to his paper.

“Yay! Thank you daddy!” I yelled in excitement and went back a few years in age. I ran over to him, gave him an awkward side hug and ran up to my room to tell Kayla.

That’s how I ended up here, in Kayla’s car, on a two and a half hour drive to Denver, and blasting 96.1 on the radio. “I am so excited for this, aren’t you Chas?” Kayla asked as she drove.

“Yeah, remind me why we couldn’t bring the guys?” I asked her.

“Because, we needed some time for just the two of us to get away from all of the drama back home,” Kayla said. Now c’mon! Sing along!”

“Kayla, you know I can’t sing,” I told her.

“Right, you’re a soccer nerd,” she chimed and stuck her tongue out at me. “I forgot,” she added on before she started to sing along to Last Friday Night on the radio.

“You realize that you’re terribly off key, right?” I asked her.

“It’s not like I have to sound good!” she yelled and turned the volume up so that I could no longer hear anything either one of us said. Two rest stops and a whole bunch of songs later, we were in Denver.

“Why exactly did you pick Denver again? I asked Kayla as we headed to her grandparent’s house, where we would be staying for the next week.

“Because, we have a place to stay and we might have enough money to go skiing or something,” she answered. We got off of the highway, and started driving down little streets. The sidewalks were covered in snow, and new flakes were falling to the ground as we drove.

“Are we there yet?” I whined.

“Almost, just relax,” Kayla sighed.

“I need to walk again,” I complained, as I had for most of the trip.

“Then get out and walk,” Kayla said.

“Can we at least get some food?” I asked.

“We’re almost there, we’ll just drop off our bags and then go get something, okay?”

“Really?” I asked.

“Anything to get you to stop complaining,” she grumbled almost low enough so that I could barely hear her.

“Yay!” I cried giddily. In about five minutes, we had arrived at or destination, or so the GPS told us, and I finally got out of the car. “Ahh, it feels good to walk again.”

“You like walking so much? We’ll walk into town,” she laughed and popped the trunk. “Help me get these out, will you?”

“Sure thing,” I said, and went to the trunk to get out our bags. When we got them out, Kayla locked up her car, and we headed into her grandparents ski cottage.

“Kayla! You’ve grown so much since we last saw you!” Her grandmother greeted us as we entered the house. It smelt like fresh baked cookies, and the ever-present scent of old people.

“Grandma, you came to visit two weeks ago,” Kayla chuckled.

“Well you’ve grown since then,” her grandmother chuckled. “Why don’t you two go upstairs? Chastity, deary, you can use the guest room. Mickayla, why don’t you show her where that is?”

“Yes Gram,” Kayla chuckled again and started around the corner and up the stairs. I followed her up, and she led me to a practically empty room. “As you can tell, my grandparents don’t usually have many guests,” she said as she gestured to the lone bed in the center of the room.

“It’s okay,” I said. “It’s kind of...I mean it’s not like…oh I’ll live, you go unpack.” She shrugged and left me to the nearly empty room. I opened up my bag and searched for my purse and wallet for when we went out later, and I closed it back up again. We were only staying for a week and it honestly wasn’t worth it to unpack my stuff. There wasn’t even a real dresser to put anything in anyways. I grabbed my stuff and went downstairs to wait for Kayla.

“Alright, let’s head out,” she said as she came downstairs.

“Great!” I chimed as I sprung up from the chair I was sitting in. “Let’s move,” I whispered in a much lower voice. “This place is starting to give me the creeps!”

“Oh Chas, you and your irrational fear of old people,” Kayla chuckled. “Gram! We’re leaving!” she shouted at the top of her lungs.

“Don’t die!” her grandmother yelled back and I started to laugh uncontrollably.

“Got it!” Kayla shouted back. We left the house and I started to Kayla’s car before she grabbed my wrist. “Nuh uh, you insisted on stretching your legs, so were walking.”

“All the way to civilization?” I asked, astonished. All I could see for miles were trees, trees, and more trees. Granted, Denver wasn’t that different from home, but I was not walking to civilization.

“Ha I was just messing with you,” Kayla laughed. “Let’s go.” We hopped into the car and Kayla drove away from the middle of nowhere. It took about twenty minutes to get back to civilization, and then another fifteen decided on where we were going to go.

“Panera,” I said adamantly.

“Vinnie’s,” Kayla fought with me in the same tone.

“We saw Panera first, let’s go there.”

“Well Vinnie’s is better.”

“Maybe for sea food,” I grumbled.

“C’mon, please?” she whined.

No, I want Panera,” I replied.

“Ugh, fine, but I’m warning you, you might not like it,” she said, giving in and pulling into the parking lot. We got out and walked into the Panera, and all I could smell was the aroma of fresh baked bread. We walked up to the counter and waited patiently for someone to assist us. When the cashier did come to help us, I was stunned speechless.

“Hello and welcome to Panera, my name is Wyatt, how may I help you?”

**A/N: CHAPTER SIXTEEN HAS ARRIVED AND CHAPTER 17 IS ONLY GONNA BE EVEN MOR DRAMA FILLED...oops...caps lock...oh well too lazy to fix it...haha

Video: Last Friday Night

Picture: GOOGLE

Dedication: upthere, she's an amazing author and you should all read The Art of Revenge and Secrets Can Kill and EVERYTHING by her!!