Chapter 29

Sometimes I didn’t know what happened to me when I was around Chase. We would be in class, taking notes or something, and the next thing I knew, I had spent a good thirty seconds staring at the side of his head. It wasn’t like I tried to look at him all class period, but I just couldn’t help it, and I had no idea why. Maybe it was the hope that kept me going. Chase and Poppy had yet to get together, and sure it was only a week, but the only thing that kept them apart was that Chase thought it’d be awkward if they were to ever be together. Not that I cared or anything.

It was even worse when we were hanging out together. It was one thing to want to kiss him when we were faking everything, but it was entirely different thing to want to knock the xbox controller out of his hand and make out with him in the middle of Modern Warfare. Yeah, this kind of a crush was definitely not natural. The worst part about the whole thing was that I couldn’t do anything about it. Hiding my feelings had become nearly impossible in the past week in a half, and with each passing day I became closer and closer to cracking.

“Chastity?” I looked up in confusion as the entire class was staring at me. “Would you care to answer the question?”

Chase chuckled at my flustered expression and instead of answering I just said, “I don’t know?”

“Are you sure?” our teacher asked hopefully. I had no doubt that I actually knew the answer, as Chemistry was my best subject, the problem was more that I didn’t know the question.

“Could you repeat the question?” I asked, not wanting to make a bigger fool out of myself than I had already.

“What is the proper amount of significant figures?” my teacher repeated. I looked up at the projector screen and automatically realized how stupid I would have to be to get a question like this wrong.

“Three,” I muttered and looked back down at my notes. Damn you brain! Stop thinking about Chase for one class period will you? I scolded myself silently. It worked for about two seconds before my mind wandered back to his gorgeous eyes.

“Chas are you okay?” he asked as we packed up to leave.

“Huh?” I asked. “Yeah I’m fine, why do you ask?”

“Because you messed up on significant figures, you’re like the expert on sig figs,” he said. I knew he was trying to be…actually I didn’t quite know what he was doing. Maybe he was just trying to be considerate, that’s the word and for some unknown reason, it was pissing me off.

I gritted my teeth instead of saying anything. We fell into silence as we walked so eventually I said, “yeah well I got a little distracted.”

“By what? My beautiful face?” Chase joked. If only he knew how right he was.

“Don’t get full of yourself now,” I warned him. Chase had walked me to the cafeteria ever since his lunch had been replaced with ceramics. At first it seemed like it was only because it was on the way, but I couldn’t stop myself from wondering if it was more than that. Don’t get your hopes up Chas, I grumbled under my breath.

“Okay,” he laughs. We walked in silence for a few seconds before he spoke again. “So I think I like Poppy.”

I stopped and nearly ran into a wall. “What?” I asked in complete shock.

“Yeah, so what do you think? Should I go for it?” Who does he think he is? Why the hell would he ask me that? I asked myself furiously.

“It doesn’t matter what I think, but you’re dead if Nate finds out,” I told him.

“I figured as much,” he said. “But you’re my best friend, I should at least know your opinion before I make any rash decisions.”

I looked at him, half in anger and half in pure shock. “Do you honestly want to know what I’m thinking right now?”

“Yup,” he said, looking me dead in the eyes.

“The whole truth and nothing but the truth?” I asked.

“Yes just tell me.”

“Fine,” I said before I spun off into a rant. “Well, the first thought that comes to mind is ‘are you stupid? Do you want your head smashed in?’. That’s the big one; the other one is running through my head over and over again. Wanna know what it is Chase? Do you really want to know? Because I don’t think you do. I don’t think you want to know that all I can think about right this second is ‘what the fuck is so special about Poppy’? Care to tell me best friend? What in the name of hell is so fucking special about Poppy? Why is she so damn worthy of your attention? Why her and not me? What does she have that I don’t, huh? Is she prettier? Funnier? What is it Chase because the answer is sure avoiding me right now! That is what I think Chase! Do you wanna know why I’m thinking those things?” I asked after a breath. “I’ll tell you why Chase. It’s because I’m jealous of her! I am jealous of Poppy because she got you and I didn’t! I like you Chase! Want me to scream it to the world because I will! I’ll do it!

Hear that everybody? I like Chase Michaels!” I yelled up to the now empty hallway. “There I said it,” I panted after I had finally calmed down. “Now you know, so what happens next?”

Chase stared at me in a shocked silence for a few seconds before he opened his mouth and closed it again. “I-I think that I’m going to be late.”

“Fine! Avoid it! Do I look like I care?” I shouted at his retreating figure. As he disappeared into his classroom, I realized that not only have I finally cracked, but I might have just lost my best friend in the process.

**A/N: HOLY SHIT A NEW CHAPTER!! I'm so sorry it took so long but here it is! The end is near! And it will be up on July 31st, 2012: exactly one year after I started this story! Love you all! Vote and Comment please!**