Chapter 10

“Chas! Chas! Wake up now!”

            “Is the house on fire?” I groaned and rolled over so that my face was against the pillow.

            “Yes! We need to get out now! Hurry before we all die!” Kayla yelled in my ear. “Giddy up!” I jumped out of bed in a sudden haste. I knew nothing about fires; let alone how to escape them. I swiveled my head back and forth frantically. My gaze fell on Kayla, who was doubled over with laughter.

            “What’s so funny? The house is on fire!” I shouted, and hit the ground. “We have to crawl out of here, right?” Her laughter grew stronger, to the point at which she was gasping for breath. “Stop laughing! You’ll inhale all of the smoke!”

            “Chas! There is no fire,” she gasped. “Look around!” I took a deep breath and slowly stood up as realized that Kayla was only messing with me.

            “Not funny,” I said as I narrowed my eyes at her and gave her a good smack, right upside the head.

            “To you maybe,” she giggled, her laughter finally coming to a stop.

            “Let’s just go to school,” I said. I death stared her as I crossed the room to look through her clothes.

            “Whatever Chas,” she sighed and waited patiently for me to get ready. She went over to her computer, seeing as her mom had taken the laptop while we were asleep, and put on her music. “I really hate this computer, it doesn’t let me get on half of my…” she trailed off as facebook popped onto the screen. “Oh my god, this isn’t real.”

            “What is it Kay?” I asked her as I wriggled into a pair of her jeans.

            “Facebook actually let me log in,” she gasped incredulously. “No f*cking way…”

            I chuckled lightly, “oh Kayla, you’re so easily amazed.” I walked back to her closet and rifled through her tops.

            “Chas, do you ever wish that you could have magical powers?” she asked me.

            “I don’t know,” I replied as I plucked a cute looking top out of her closet. “I guess it could be cool, depending on the kind of powers,” I said as I put the shirt back and kept looking.

            “Oh, an unlimited amount,” she said, mesmerized. “Like you could gain new abilities as you needed the, and stuff.”

            “That would be pretty epic…” I said as I paused in my hunt for clothes and envisioned the possibility.

            “The only real downside would be that people would always be asking me for favors,” she added. “Or using my powers for their personal gain and stuff.”

            “True, true,” I agreed, and continued looking for a shirt to wear.

            “Would you, Chas?” she asked.

            “Would I what?”

            “Would you use my powers for your own personal gain?” she asked me. “You know, assuming I had any.

            “Probably not,” I responded truthfully. “What brought this up anyways?” I asked as I held a white, long sleeved sweater up to myself in her mirror.

            “Oh nothing in particular,” she answered, brushing off the topic as she did so.

            “Do you have some kind of super powers that you aren’t telling me about?” I asked jokingly.