Chapter 17

“I-um-I…” I trailed off, as I had nothing else to say. All I could think to do was just stand there in shock as I took in the sight of my ex boyfriend. He looked up from the cash register, his bleached blonde hair falling in front of his chocolate brown eyes, and looked at me in confusion.

“Is she alright?” he asked as he turned to Mickayla.

“Oh she’s fine, she’s just got a stuttering problem,” Kayla giggled. That was enough to snap be out of my daze and whack her on the arm.

“I do not have a stutter,” I said to him. “She’s just trying to be funny.”

“Alright,” he chuckled and my heart skipped a beat. “What can I get for you lovely ladies then?” I blinked, as he didn’t seem to remember me. Sure, last time we had seen each other, it was at camp when I sported the braided pigtails and glasses, but I didn’t think I looked that much different. Kayla and I shared a glance, as we were thinking the same thing.

“I’ll have a broccoli and cheddar soup in a sourdough bread bowl please,” Kayla ordered and batted her eyelashes at him.

“And I’ll have a French toast bagel with cream cheese, a cheese pastry, and a water bottle,” I ordered and avoided eye contact at all costs.

“Okay…say, you look familiar, do I know you from somewhere?” he asked me, and forced me to look up at him.

“That depends,” Kayla interrupted before I could open my mouth to say anything. “How familiar does she look?”

“Well, I mean you look vaguely like someone I used to know, but way hotter,” he grinned. Kayla stifled a laugh at his indirect way of calling me ugly.

“Well if she was so ugly then why’d you kiss her? Three times,” I said out of anger.

“How did you—? Wait a minute, did you go to summer camp with us then?” he asked.

“I did more than just go to camp with you,” I growled. Kayla was on the verge of choking on air, she was laughing so hard.

“So you know Chastity then?” he asked, still not getting it. I smacked my forehead in exasperation.

“Take a closer look at me,” I said impatiently. He narrowed his eyes in confusion, and slowly widened them as he reconstructed me in his head.

“Oh my God…” he said in shock. I gazed at him pointedly as I waited for some sort of apology. Instead, all I got was a cheap, “well damn you got hot.” Kayla had calmed down for a little bit, but just as she started to regain her breath, she immediately began to crack up at his statement. “Say, I get off in five, waddaya say I get you your food, and then we can catch up over fresh…what was it you ordered again?”

“Take a look at the register will you?” I sighed, exasperated.

He looked down and smirked. “Right, so you game?”

“Get me my food, and we’ll see,” I snorted. I had absolutely no intentions of dealing with him, but of course, he wouldn’t let it go. He got Kayla and I our food and the second he was off of work he slid into the booth next to Kayla, and across from me.

“So how’ve you been?” he asked me once he sat down.

“Fine,” I grumbled. I had decided to avoid making complete sentence answers, and to avoid eye contact at all costs.

“So Wyatt,” Kayla said, turning to him. “What’s there to do in Denver?”

“Well, there are a few clubs, but you need I.D. or someone over the age of 21 to bring you in. A whole bunch of the kids from D.P. go there, though, we all have fakes,” he shrugged, maintaining eye contact with me as he said everything. “I could probably get you in, if you wanted.”