Chapter 9

“So then what did you say?” Kayla asked through her food.

“Well, I basically told her that it was going to take more than just showing up to win me back and I stormed out of the house and came here,” I replied, taking a bite of the mac and cheese Mickayla’s mom had set in front of me.

“Hot! Hot cheese!!” Kayla screamed and took a large gulp of Coke. “Ahhhh,” she breathed before making a large belch and taking another sip.

“Kayla! Manners!” her mom scolded her before going over to the sink. “Honestly, I don’t know how Chastity isn’t utterly repulsed by you.”

“She doesn’t care mom, have you ever heard this girl burp? She’s got a set of lungs, don’t you Chas?” I flushed a deep scarlet.

“Oh I don’t…” I muttered uncomfortably.

“Do it, you won’t,” she provoked me.

“You’re right, I won’t,” I shrugged and took a sip of my water.

“Damn it,” she muttered.

“Mickayla!” her mom scolded her. “Watch your language around your little brother!” We turned our heads to the family room where her eight-year-old brother was paying absolutely no attention to us and had his eyes glued to his Nintendo DS.

“Don’t be ridiculous mom, I doubt he’d even look up if we were talking about circumcision,” Kayla shrugged and turned back to her food.

“I swear when your father gets home…” her mom muttered under her breath, but the rest of her sentence was inaudible as she distracted herself with the dishes. Kayla chuckled to herself and continued eating her mac and cheese. A few minutes of silence passed as we finished our food, interrupted by Kayla standing up from her chair and starting towards the steps. I stood up after her, grabbed both of our bowls, and brought them over to her mom.

“Thank you for letting me crash here Mrs. Roberts,” I said as I placed the dishes on the counter.

“Oh please, it’s no big deal, you’re practically family,” she laughed.

“Chas! Are you coming?” Kayla shouted from upstairs.

“Be right there!” I yelled back. I shot a smile to her mom who was rolling her eyes, and raced up the stairs to Kayla’s room. She was sitting cross-legged on her purple bed with her mom’s Mac laptop in front of her.

“I know, I know, don’t even bother saying it,” she said as she looked up and saw me eyeing the mess that cluttered the floor.

“Honestly Kayla, how hard is it to keep your room neat?” I sighed.

“It’s just not how I roll,” she shrugged and popped a Tootsie Roll into her mouth. “You’re welcome to take the computer but you won’t be able to get onto half of the websites, just saying.”

“It’s fine,” I said.

“Oh and I closed the blinds just in case your parents are in your room or something,” she added on. I relaxed my shoulders and sat down next to her on the bed.

“Thanks,” I said. “What are you doing?”

“Stalking people on Facebook,” she replied nonchalantly.

“Like who?” I questioned, raising my eyebrows in disbelief.

She squinted at the screen and replied, “the usual. Robby, Chase, Victoria…everyone basically.”

“Do you do this for like a living?” I asked suspiciously.

She nodded slightly before turning her attention back to the screen. “Holy shit! Look at this,” she exclaimed and turned the computer to face me. It was opened to Victoria’s page and she pointed to her status update. “Can you believe her?” Kayla asked in a mixture of disgust and disbelief.