Chapter 3

“Poppy took the ‘news’ rather well,” I told Chase as we walked away from where Poppy stood.

“Why wouldn’t she have?” he asked.

“Because we’ve been ‘dating’ for a week and I didn’t tell her! Keep up!” I scolded him. I looked around and saw all of the people who raised their eyebrows at us as they passed. “I don’t think they believe it,” I mumbled under my breath.

            “There’s one way to make them all believe it,” he replied and leant down to whisper it in my ear.

            I pushed him away and whacked him in random spots on his shoulder. “Don’t even joke about that!” I shrieked.

            “Oh come on Chas, you know I’m only kidding,” he laughed and I narrowed my eyes at him.

            “I swear if you try anything, I will tell everybody about those girls that beat you up at the dance studio last year,” I threatened.

            “You wouldn’t,” he said, not truly believing it.

            “Oh but imagine the faces, after all not many guys get beat up by girls and shout ‘I’m a ballerina’ at the top of their lungs,” I countered.

            “Chas, I know you, you wouldn’t do that kind of thing,” he sighed.

            “Oh really try me,” I threatened.

            “Even if you did tell everyone, they’d all forget about it in an instant, you know why?” he replied as a smug grin played on his face.

            “Why?” I asked, confused by his seemingly upper hand.

            He leaned forward and whispered in my ear, “Because they’d all be more preoccupied about,” he paused for dramatic effect, “you lying about having a boyfriend.” Suddenly, the conversation had switched to me being mad at him, instead of the other way around. Not that he was really mad at me, sure he would ignore me for a few days, but he never truly got mad at me.

            “You- ” I almost said that he wouldn’t, but knowing Chase, he would have if it were necessary. Instead, I settled with, “you’d better not.”

            “And what exactly would you do if I did?” he countered again. I noticed how, uncomfortably close, our two faces were, and I felt the blush as it crept across my face. I fought against it, as hard as I could, but noting could stop a blush when it’s already beaten you to the punch. Chase noticed it too and backed away from me, a blush of his own threatening to surface. ‘Aha! Yes I made Chase Michaels blush! Somebody call the newspapers!’ I screamed internally.

            “So,” I mumbled, his question from earlier forgotten.

            “So,” he replied awkwardly. In an effort to give the tension some time to subside, I lifted my head and surveyed the room. Not as many people stared at Chase and I with their doubting looks as before, and I caught a glimpse of Nate as he randomly grabbed Poppy and sucked the living crap out of her. It was like watching a dementor suck out her soul. I nudged Chase in the side and pointed to them. He stifled a laugh and as quickly as the awkwardness had come, it faded away as we laughed at Nate and Poppy.

            “Oh my God, she won’t have a face if they keep that up,” I joked through my laughter.

            “I wonder why they’re so eager, it’s like they’re the ones putting on a show,” Chase thought out loud.