29. Closest Thing to Crazy

I'm depressed, because I have a feeling there's only going to be one more chapter after this. Enjoy anyway?
______________________________________________________________

We waited up for Nate for hours. Freddie was laid in the middle of the floor, staring at the ceiling. Chris was on the sofa, his head drooping tiredly onto his shoulder. I was perched on my bunk because it was closer to the door, so I would hear him first.

We weren't driving. We couldn't, because Nate wouldn't be able to find us again if we just left, like Elliot had wanted us to. Stupid Elliot, this was all his fault anyway.

Everything was messed up - the tour had been an utter disaster and we weren't even through with three shows.

Finally, the door opened and footsteps were heard. I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing he was now safe. That was all I needed to know, that he wasn't in a ditch somewhere. Or that he hadn't spent the night with another girl.

I stood, wanting to see him, but Freddie charged past me. I followed, Chris behind me.

Nate stood in the still-open doorway with a stupid smirk on his face, his eyes unfocused. He gave me a bright smile when I came into view.

I groaned. "You're drunk,"

Freddie didn't say anything, he just lunged forwards and punched Nate right in the mouth.

I gasped and winced at the sound of his fist colliding with Nate's jaw. Either due to the fact that he was intoxicated, or because he simply hadn't been expecting it, Nate's head reeled back and he let out a curse.

"What was that for?" He slurred, rubbing his jaw with his hand. A bruise was already blooming brightly, a blue against his pale skin.

Freddie grabbed the collars of Nate's shirt and pulled his face closer to his. "You ever ditch the band like that again, I'll personally kick you out." He snarled.

I shrank back - I had never, not once, seen Freddie like this. He'd always been the constantly happy one, the optimistic one, the joyful one. This side, the side that seemed two seconds away from punching Nate again, scared me.

"Stop it, man," Nate mumbled. "You're scaring Ly. Ly pie. My Ly." He laughed. "Rhymes."

I rolled my eyes at Freddie. "Get into bed - you haven't rested since the show yet. And you," I looked back at Chris. "Go on, I'll sort him out." I felt like I owed them - after all, this was technically all my fault.

"You haven't slept either, Ly." Freddie said, stepping away from Nate.

Nate glared at him. "Don't call her that. Only I call her that." He flicked Freddie's forehead and then turned to me, "Ly pie will sort me out." He laughed, swaying on his feet.

I glared at him. "Don't even bother trying to charm me, Nathaniel. I'm mad at you."

"Didja hear that, Chrissy? Ly pie's mad at me." Nate sniggered. "Ly pie," He muttered to himself, laughing again.

Chris ducked down and settled on his bed. "Get lost, Nate."

Freddie swung up into his bunk, saying, "Good luck, Lyra." Then he called out to Nate, who had wandered into the living area. "Don't get puke anywhere important."

I sighed, and left the guys, making sure to close the plastic door behind me.

He was flicking the kettle on, humming but still swaying as he did so.