12. Oh! You Pretty Things

The building that held Aware Records was the most posh place I'd ever been. It made me, in my white, floaty, short dress and black Docs, feel seriously under dressed. Like I was a clear outsider, someone who didn't belong. I didn't let it bother me though - I was here for the music, that was all. The stuck up business people storming around us could get lost for all I cared.

Nate looked the same way - like he was considering punching someone in the face and running for it. I grinned at him, and then we made our way over to the huge, intimidating desk in the centre of the main reception. Everything seemed to be made of marble or glass.

There was a woman sat behind the desk. She looked to be about twenty two, with platinum blonde hair and sticky red lips. Her blouse showed enough cleavage to suffocate an unsuspecting victim. From the way Chris was eyeing her up, he obviously didn't find it as disgusting as I did. However, she was too busy flipping her hair in Nate's direction to notice. "Can I help you?" She asked, not even looking at the rest of us.

I don't care I don't care I don't care.

I cleared my throat. "Yeah, we're Kick the Crown. Here to see Elliot?"

She cast a glance my way. "Hm. I'll let him know you're here. If you could just take a seat, he'll see you in a second."

With another smile in Nate's direction, she indicated a set of plush, leather sofas in the corner of the reception.

With a few thank you's, we trooped towards them and settled ourselves on the posh seats. We looked incredibly out of place, in our jeans and clutching our battered guitar cases and drumsticks, surrounded by people in suits clutching briefcases.

I tried not to wince when my throat stung painfully. "This is..."

"Awkward." Nate finished. I tried not to read too much into the fact that he had opted for the seat next to me.

"Yeah," I said. "But we're here for the music. So it doesn't matter, does it?"

Nate shook his head, staring up at the incredibly high, chiseled ceiling.

Chris beat out a fast, complicated rhythm on the coffee table with his drumsticks. He kept sneaking looks back at the woman at the desk, but whenever she looked our way, it was only to wink or smack her lips in Nate's direction. It was like the rest of us were invisible.

I had a feeling of intense anticipation, sat there at Aware. Like this was the moment the guys and I were depending on. I just wished I was able to fully be a part of it like they were. Like I was supposed to be.

After about ten minutes, cleavage lady called over to us, "Mr John will see you now. I'll have David show you up."

A young man around my age bounded into action. He had light brown hair that seemed to catch flecks of light from the huge chandelier, and warm eyes that were just a shade darker. He wore a light grey suit with smart shoes, looking every bit the professional business man.

"Hi," He said, smiling at us. "If you'll follow me, please, I'll take you up to Mr John's office."

I grinned. "Thanks." And then jumped up and we took after him, over to a set of elevators. They, too, were made of marble and glass.

We waited in silence for a few minutes, and then a light appeared at the top of the door. They opened swiftly, and we trooped inside. It was cramped inside, what with the two guitars, and I found myself kind of squashed into David's side. He didn't seem to mind.

We exited the elevator on floor 19, and David led us down a corridor with carpet so thick I felt like I was sinking through the floor.

The guys trailed at the back, but I walked at the side of David. I was keen to know what it was like, working in such close proximity to musical legends. However, before I could ask him anything, he said something.