3. London Calling

Picture of Alicia over there ------------------------------>

________________________________________________________

I gritted my teeth together. Tried to control my scowling. Deep breaths, I reminded myself. It would do no good to lose my temper and end up saying something I'd regret later on.

"-Just not acceptable, Lyra Jayne! What do you think went through my head when I woke and found you gone? I can't believe-"

Dad droned on and on, the anger evident in the stressed, tense sound of his voice. I cringed as he kept on going, wishing I could just press the 'end call' button. But that would just end up in Dad flying out to New York himself and dragging back me home. The only way was to make him see reason.

"Dad, just hear me out, alright?" I pleaded, putting on my best winning-daughter voice. I waited until he finally muttered a small, "OK."

"You always encourage me to do what feels right, don't you?" I waited. "Don't you?" I pressed.

A sigh. "Yes."

"Well, this feels right. Dad, for once I feel like I'm doing what makes me happy!" I said. "I love it here. I really do. And if you just bring me back, I'll resent you forever."

"But it isn't the fact that you want to do what you love that is bugging me, Lyra! Its the fact that you decided to run off in the dead of night like some... some kind of...common street-girl!" He thundered on.

"Wait, Dad-"

"No Lyra. I've had enough. You stay over there in New York if that's what you want, but remember that its in complete disregard of the care and attention I've given you your whole life, and that you most certainly do not have any form of blessing from me!"

"Care and attention? You hardly ever noticed me anyway!" I scoffed.

"Now look here young lady, I won't be made to feel guilty over your wrong-doing-"

"Just shut up!" I snapped, finally clicking the 'end-call' button. I huffed out a frustrated sigh and ran my hand through my hair.

My anger was pent-up inside me, and I let out an angry scream into the sofa cushions. I looked around the suite and flopped down onto the sofa, kicking the coffee table away from me in  frustration.

It wasn't fair. Why should he get to decide what I do - I was, after all, a legal adult. There was no way I was going back home, not now. Stupid old man. He didn't understand a thing about me- didn't understand that I needed to do this. The one time I feel happy with myself, and my  father doesn't approve.

Still frustrated, in fact more so than ever, I reached over for my iPod. Selecting my Muse playlist, I sat up properly and listening to the screeching chords that began Plug In Baby. Normally, listening to rough songs soothed my  temper, but today it didn't nothing but flare up my anger more.

I turned the music off, the room instantly feeling too quiet as soon as I had done so, and stood up. I paced the flat a few times, but then stopped. I was in New York. I had run away from home to kick off my life. What the hell was I doing, pacing my hotel room? Not exactly the most rock 'n' roll way of starting a career in music, really.

I grabbed my shoulder-bag and locked up the room behind me as I left. I didn't know many places to go and feel more relaxed, but I at least knew where to start. The rest would come later.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Amor Musicis was a little busier than it had been the day before, but I didn't let that put me off.