27. Welcome to the Jungle

Hello! I've been dying to write this one since the beginning. Things are about to start wrapping up so prepare yourself because it won't be pretty.

_________________________________________________________________

Open it.

No.

Open it.

No.

I groaned and shoved the folded scrap of paper into my jeans pocket. I had no idea what the lyric Nate had written about me was, but something was telling me to take it tonight. I had never been one for good luck charms, but it couldn't hurt to give it a go. Even if I was dying to see what it said.

I breathed deeply. In and out. In and out. It was half past seven, and Nate was due to pick me up any minute. And then it was concert time. The first of many. Fortunately, we weren't setting off on the road 'til tomorrow afternoon, so I would be able to come home tonight to get my head around it all. But this time tomorrow, I would be setting off with the guys in a cramped tour bus, ready to start the tour.

Stylists would be waiting when we arrived at the arena, so it wasn't even like I had to worry about hair or make-up. In fact, all I had to do was show up and sing, really. It seemed kind of odd, and I was sure most bands didn't operate this way, but Elliot had said that he was straying away from the norm when it came to managing us. I was glad I didn't have to prepare myself - my hands were shaking so badly, I'd end up poking myself in the eye with mascara.

I went in the sitting room and gave Dad a hug. "I'm scared." I whispered.

Dad squeezed me tighter, "Well get over it, because this is what you wanted."

Laughing at his slightly dry sense when it came to pep talks, I said, "Thanks for being here with me, Dad."

He nodded, "Don't worry. Just sing like you do on that album thingy you made and it'll be fine."

The doorbell rang, and my heart shot up into my throat. "Oh my God, he's here, its time, what do I do now, they'll hate me!" I hissed, finishing tying my Docs.

Dad rolled his eyes and opened the door to reveal Nate dressed in his usual jeans and band top. His eyes widened when he saw my father, and I saw him gulp. "Um, hello sir. I'm Nate-"

"I know who you are." Dad said shortly. "She's on her way now."

I skipped to Dad's side and kissed his cheek. "Don't wait up, I have a feeling it'll be a late one." I said, shrugging on my jacket. I glanced at Nate. "Lets go," I said.

"Wait." Dad stopped us. "Nate... Thank you."

Nate looked bewildered. "Your welcome... but what for?"

"I haven't seen my daughter as happy as she is now in years. I have a feeling that you're a big part of why she's finally found herself. I may not like your hair or dress sense, but I'm very grateful for what you've done for her." Dad said, edging back inside a little.

Nate cleared his throat. "She deserves to be happy." He didn't look at me.

Dad nodded, and then closed the door without another word.

In the car, Nate finally spoke to me.

"I don't feel like I'm the reason you're happy," He whispered. He leaned back in his seat, not starting the engine yet.

I frowned. "Why?"

"I've made you cry. I've dragged you to a disastrous family event. I've picked on your boyfriend, and then been the reason you broke up. I should stay away from you, I should've learnt my lesson by now." He said, still not looking at me.