11. Here Comes The Sun

Picture of Robyn over there! ------------------------------------------>

_________________________________________________________

When Robyn and I pulled up outside Springbreak, I felt a sinking sensation in my stomach. I couldn't help wondering if the guys might act differently now that I couldn't be a proper part of the band for a while. I wasn't usually the type to get insecure, but this band was my whole life - insecurity was a must, in things like that.

Robyn must have sensed my discomfort because she said, "Relax. Do you really think they'd have got me to bring you here if they'd given up on you?"

I smiled hesitantly at her, not knowing what to make of her. She'd been nice so far, but there was still time. I just muttered a, "I suppose so." Before hopping out of the taxi and yanking open the ratty front door of the Studios.

Danni was seated, as usual, with her feet up behind the counter at the other end of the room. Today her hair was an electric blue. She grinned at me, and said, "I heard what happened. Wanna have him taken out? I know a guy." And she winked.

I forced a laugh, but was saved answering by Robyn, who had entered after me. "Very funny, Danni. We're going to head down to Number 4, that OK?"

Danni rolled her eyes, fiddling with her blue locks. "Always is, Rob. Always is."

"Don't call me Rob." Robyn said, as we headed through the oh so familiar door and down the oh so familiar stairs. I could already hear music once started to descend the steps, and I got the feeling that Robyn was definitely familiar with the place. She had obviously sat in on rehearsals and stuff because she knew where she was going, and was obviously friendly with Danni.

I followed her into what had become 'our' studio, and saw that it was a rough day. Whenever the band and I were finding the rehearsal difficult - maybe Freddie couldn't get to grips with a particularly difficult guitar solo, or Nate and I couldn't find the right sound for both of us - there'd always be the evidence of it scattered on the coffee table and sofa.

There were crisp packets all over the floor, sweet wrappers coating the table, about fifty stained mugs sat on ever available surface. Then there was a huge chocolate cake sat on the table, along with the remnants of sandwiches and donuts.

Basically, when we were stuck, we ate.

And judging by the size of the chocolate cake, the guys were clearly finding something difficult. But right then, Freddie was leaning against the back of the sofa stuffing chips into his mouth, Chris was drumming a complicated beat on the coffee table with a couple of straws from a fizzy pop bottle and Nate was in the booth, sifting through what looked like sheet music.

When Freddie spotted Robyn and I, he let out a whoop and yelled, "Lyra!" He then tackled me in a fierce hug, which ached my bruised ribs.

I laughed croakily. "Nice to see you too."

"Jeez, you sound awful." Chris said, from the table.

I shrugged. "That'll be why I can't sing." My voice hitched a little.

Nate stuck his head through the sound booth door. "You're here." He said, simply.

I nodded. "Yep. I'm here."

Robyn went over to Nate and joined him in the booth - by the looks of things, she was helping him choose a piece of music. Every now and then they would look at each other in a way that made my stomach fizz with...something. And when he kissed her softly, I turned to look away so fast I cricked my neck.