9. Heroes

Picture of Freddie over there ------------------------------------------>

_____________________________________________________

The weather had taken a turn for the worse. It was hot and edgy. My T-shirts stuck to my back, and I stopped wearing tights underneath my skirts. I wasn't usually one for bare legs, but it was so warm that I couldn't resist.

The studio had air-con, thank goodness, but it was still uncomfortably humid in there. We got used to it though, because of how much time we spent in there every day. It was only three days after the surprise performance we were forced into for Elliot, but Nate had decided we weren't practising enough. We practically lived and breathed rock and roll at this point. I didn't think I'd slept more than three hours since the day I walked into Springbreak Studios. 

Chris and I were yawning on the sofa, Freddie was strumming quietly in the booth - we were taking advantage of Nate popping to the grubby shop across the street to get dinner. When he wasn't here, we didn't have to spend hour upon hour in the booth, singing a different song everyday. I loved it, for the most part. In fact, I had never been happier in my life. It was just...

"I'm so tired." I yawned at Chris. 

He nodded, but said, "Get used to it."

I grinned. Chris, Freddie and I were as close as was possible by this time. They were my family, my best friends. Nate had his moments too, but since You Really Got Me, something had definitely shifted in him. Like he was trying to keep his distance from me. This was hard, obviously, what with us sometime spending nine hours at a time in the studio. I hadn't missed it though.

Nate sauntered back into the Studio, setting down a plastic bag with food in it on the table. I prepared myself for the next round of covers. However, Nate motioned for Freddie to join us from the booth and we sat on the sofa in front of him. 

"We've got a gig," He said, fire in his eyes. 

I bounced up and down between Chris and Freddie. "No way!"

He nodded, grinning at me. I was taken aback by his open excitement as he said, "Yeah. Tomorrow night at my friend's bar. Some other band cancelled so he called me."

I frowned. "Tomorrow?"

He shrugged. "Its short notice, but with how often we've been practising, it should just be a case of pulling up a set list."

I laughed. "This is amazing! I've never done a gig before!"

Freddie looked at me. "I thought you said you'd performed with Psychedelic Disadvantage?"

I rolled my eyes. "That train wreck doesn't count as a gig. Or even a performance of any kind. But I don't want to think about that - we're doing a gig!" I squealed, jumping up in excitement and hugging Nate.

He stiffened as my arms went around him. I stepped back, biting my lip. "Sorry." Then I turned back to Chris and Freddie. "Come on, guys!" I grabbed the bag Nate had bought with him. "Celebratory meal!"

We unpacked the junk food Nate had brought, and feasted on KitKats, chicken sandwiches and chocolate cake. Freddie was laid on the floor, I was stretched out on the sofa with my feet propped up on his stomach. Chris slumped on the end of the table, and even Nate was leaning against the side of the sofa, his head inches away from mine. I ignored the fluttery feeling in my belly. 

We ate until we couldn't eat anymore, and Nate groaned, " I can't eat anymore. I'll be sick."

I laughed, "Its actually nice to see you not being so uptight."