10. Stairway To Heaven

Picture of Lyra over there ---------------------------------->

______________________________________________________

I choked on air as the back of my head hit the wall forcefully. William's hands were at my throat, cutting off my air supply effectively. I gasped, trying to shout for help, but all that came out was a rusty, gargling noise.

William scowled. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

I widened my eyes at him, before using my left leg to kick him in the shin. He groaned in pain, relinquishing his grip  on my neck. I kicked him again. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" I yelled, throwing his own question back at him.

He glared. "You ditched me for that arrogant guy from your new band?"

I tried to slap him across the face, but he reached out and stopped my hand, trapping my wrist. "We were never together, so I didn't leave you!" I spat, fighting for control of my wrist. "Let go!"

"Not until you admit you still have feelings for me." He growled, backing me back against the wall.

"Sure, I still have feelings for you. You know, like pure hatred." I took in a deep breath. "HEL-"

William slapped his hand across my mouth. "I'm just going to have to convince you, then."

Feeling choked with anger and fear, I tried to squirm away from him. He didn't remove his hand from my mouth until the last second, when he crashed his lips onto mine. I fought, punching his chest, kicking my feet, but he was glued.

I tried to smack him, tried to do something, but he had my hands trapped between his own, much stronger ones. This wasn't supposed to be how the gig ended - this was supposed to be the happiest night of my life.

I had made up my mind to bite his lip, never mind how disgusting and just wrong it would feel, when his weight was suddenly wrenched away from me. Breathing deeply, I wiped my mouth on my arm and turned to look at William.

At first I didn't understand why there was blood pouring from his nose. Then Nate punched him again.

I gasped in shock, my knees weak. I stumbled over and, carefully keeping away from Nate's flying fists, tugged on his shoulder.

"Come on," I whispered, my voice feeling raw and scratchy. "Leave it."

He shook my off, landing another punch in William's gut as he did so. "I saw what he did." He grunted between blows. "Do you really think I'm going to leave it?"

I was shocked at the open emotion in his voice - like he cared. "You'll just make things worse. Come on, Nate." I pulled on his shoulder again, forcing him to look at me. "Leave. It."

His eyes stared into mine, and I saw William crumple to the floor behind him. "Leave it?" Nate growled. "Ly, he choked you so hard you can barely speak and your throat is bruised." His gaze flickered down, and his voice softened. "And your lips are swollen."

"Doesn't feel as bad as it looks," I rasped.

Nate scowled, and turned back to William, who cowered in fear. Hoisting him up by the front of his shirt, Nate dangled him a foot from the ground. "You're lucky she's so forgiving." He spat. "If I ever catch sight of you again, or if you so much as look at Lyra again, I will kill you." He promised, before dropping him forcefully to the ground.

William moaned in pain.

"You got that?" Nate asked, his voice shaking with anger. William nodded pitifully, before clambering back to his feet and scampering back down the alleyway. When he had disappeared from sight, Nate pushed me back against the wall, only much gentler than William had.