20. Man of the Hour

Hey guys, I hope you're ready for this. I also hope it's good enough.

_____________________________________________________________

"So, Lyra, what exactly is the nature of your relationship with fellow band member, Nate?"

I rolled my eyes at the interviewers' question. I had heard the same thing hundreds of times before, and I had given the same answer every time. Only now it felt like I might be lying just a little bit. 

"Nate and I are just friends, and we have no plans to change that. He's a brilliant person to work with, and I love his voice, but there's nothing romantic between us." I said, like it was a rehearsed line from a play. 

This interview was the most inconvenient thing for me at that minute. It was the day of Nate's grandad's funeral, and not only was I tense and nervous, but Elliot had scheduled this Q and A session without my knowledge. I was trying to reign in my distress and frustration, I mean, it wasn't the interviewers' fault, but I really could have done without it. 

The interviewer, a chirpy redhead named Kimberly, frowned. "Come on, you have to give me something print-worthy!" I had to admit, I hadn't been the most cooperative of interviewees. "Please?"

I sighed. "Look, I'm sorry. Today's just not the best day for me." I glanced at the clock. Noon. Two hours until Nate would be at my apartment and we'd go to the funeral. 

Kimberly smirked. "Rock and roll lifestyle too much for America's most popular rebel chick?"

I scowled. "Actually, I have personal business to attend to. And even if I didn't, this interview would still be a sham."

Scrawling something on her notepad without looking, Kimberly glared at me. "Get used to it, Lyra. You've chosen to explode on the music scene. This interview is just one of hundreds that'll be sure to follow."

Tapping my fingers on my leather skater skirt, I smiled sweetly. "Then let's get it over with."

"Fine," Kimberly spat, all pretence of the happy reporter gone. "Where do you get inspiration for the songs you write with Nate?"

I shrugged. "We just take something that we see as important, and make it lyrical. We work hard, for hours and hours, to make sure every song is just how we want it. And our songs always end up being incredibly important to us."

A little more cheerful now that I was giving her something to print, Kimberly nodded, scribbling away. "And is the importance of your music the reason you refused auto tuning on your EP?"

I nodded. "Partly, but that was mostly because we didn't want to sound like something we're not. I didn't want to sound amazing on CD, and then have people disappointed when they heard me live. Basically, I'm trying to be totally honest through my music."

"And the rest of the band see this the same way?"

"Nate, Chris and Freddie all view music in different ways - doesn't everyone? But yes, we were all united in that decision."

"But you weren't 'united' in all decisions you've made as a band?" Kimberly questioned, raising an eyebrow. 

I laughed sourly. "Everyone has their opinions. We were a little divided on the choice for the cover of the EP, and on my outfit for the photo shoot, but we always work it out. We respect each other's point of view."

"So you would describe yourselves as very close?" Kimberly noted. 

I nodded with a smile. "Oh yeah. The guys are my best friends, I don't know what I'd do without them."