13. Meet The Monsters

Picture of Nate over there ---------------------------->

_________________________________________________

Springbreak seemed unnaturally loud the next morning - the doors were open, so I could hear the ruckus even before I entered the building. Nate, Chris and Freddie were in the reception rather than down in Studio 4, and for some reason they made the place seem fuller than usual.

The three of them turned to look at me as I entered the reception, and I smiled. "Hey. What's up with you lot?"

They charged me, Nate in the lead - even Danni was there. "Have you listened to the radio yet today?" Chris asked.

I blinked. "Um, no? Why?"

Danni winked and turned up the volume of the wireless set back on her desk. "Listen to this." She said, raising an eyebrow.

I listened, and heard the announcers voice:

"-new band on the scene, set to take over the music scene. Recently signed, they've released their first single 'The Stars Dance' and it is sitting at number 3 on the billboard charts..."

I frowned at the guys. "What's so special about whoever this new band are?"

Nate shushed me impatiently. "Listen, listen!"

"-even other music artists out there have agreed that Psychedelic Disadvantage are the ones to watch. And, right here, we bring you their first, brand new single, 'The Stars Dance', here it is."

I gaped around the room as some tinkly guitar chords filled the room, preceding The Stars Dance. "Psychedelic Disadvantage? They got signed?"

"And, apparently, are set to take over the music scene." Nate snorted.

I laughed. "Well, that just shows what's happening to music nowadays."

Freddie and Chris were eyeing me cautiously. "What?" I asked, feeling self-conscious.

Freddie shuffled his feet. "We were scared you'd wish you hadn't walked out on them, now they've been signed."

Chris nodded at his side.

I scowled. "Guys... Being famous isn't what bands are about, to me. I honestly couldn't care less whether we go on to play at Wembley or a dirty alleyway. You guys are my family, and whatever direction Kick the Crown goes in will be focused by emotion and our hearts. Not greed or money. And that's exactly how I want it."

Nate rolled his eyes, but grinned. "Told you she wouldn't care about them."

I nodded, and switched the radio off. So far, Psychedelic Disadvantage's 'hit' single sounded drab, empty. Something about how a girl looked in the moonlight and unnecessary guitar solos.

I really didn't care that they were signed. After all, so were we. "Come on. Its a big day." I told them, and together we headed down to Number 4, waving bye to Danni.

"Why is it a big day?" Chris asked, pushing open the Studio door and letting us all in.

"Because we're writing our first original song as a band. That's why its a big day." I said, wondering why Nate hadn't told the others we were doing original songs.

"Oh. I'm guessing that's what the massive book's for?" Freddie said, indicating my journal, tucked under my arm.

I nodded, sitting down on the sofa. "I've been writing for a while, but nothing's really worked."

Nate added, "So have I. We're going to mix up some of our stuff and see what comes out of it. You two go and mess around with the guitars. See if you can come up with a beat."