Chapter 46

Draco’s POV

Good-bye, Draco.

Those words had swarmed around my brain ever since she spoke them. I knew there was a deeper meaning in theme besides the usual greeting, and she had acted on it. It had been almost exactly two months she had even looked in my direction. My heart ached for her. Every time I saw her, just wanted to put my arms around her and never let her go. She looked so sad lately. I wished that I could reach out to her, but I know it’s not possible. I had written her a small note in class the day before, telling her how much I loved and missed her, but she didn’t reply. She was through with me.

I sighed, eyeing the cupboard that I had just fixed. Yes, it was entirely fixed. I managed to send a bird without killing it to and from Borgin and Burke’s. That cupboard was standing in my way. It had been my mission that tore Courtney and me apart as well as my soul. It would be so easy to destroy it. I could’ve caught it on fire and watched the flames engulf the damn thing with a smile on my face. It wouldn’t have been a good idea though. The Dark Lord wouldn’t be very happy with me if I ruined this plan. It had to be done. If Dumbledore was out of the way, he wouldn’t have no problem taking over. I didn’t understand how I was supposed to do the murder if he could never do it in the first place.

“Draco,” her voice whispered when I had exited the Room of Requirement.

It was like she was waiting there for me, note in hand. It lifted my heart to see her standing there in front of me, tears in her eyes. If that girl knew how much I loved her, she wouldn’t be able to stop smiling for a thousand years. I smiled weakly at her. We couldn’t be seen together, but it was three in the morning. No one would be around.

“Courtney,” my lips turning into a real smile, “what are you doing here?”

She licked her lips as she looked down at the note in her hands. “I’m here because of you,” she whispered, looking back up at me with tears streaming down her face. “I’m here because you wrote me this note. I figured you would be here. This place is important to your job, am I right?”

I nodded. “Yes, and my job is finished now.”

“That means that it’s not too far away, now is it?”

I shook my head. “It’s actually tomorrow.”

“Do you want to go somewhere? Perhaps the Astronomy tower?” she asked, wiping at her eyes.

“Sure, it beats just standing here.”

I was actually happy that she requested the tower. It was the first place that we had spent time together, real actual time. It was fitting that it was the last place we were together. It pained me that I had to let her go. It would’ve been so much easier if we hadn’t been paired together for the History project because we wouldn’t have fallen in love. It would’ve been a whole lot easier if I just believed that she hated me like at the beginning of the year.

“Draco,” she finally said something when we got to the tower. She looked so beautiful starring up at the stars instead of at me. Her eyes were glistening with tears as she turned to look at me properly. “This whole situation would be easier if I hated you. You know, like we did at the beginning of the year? Because I can’t keep this charade up any longer.”

“Two months is your cutoff date?” I smirked at her.

She rolled her eyes and playfully hit me on the arm. “No, dipshit. I wanted to come running back to you as soon as I stepped out of the Hospital wing that day. It pained me so to cut myself out of your life, even if I shouldn’t be there.”

“You shouldn’t be in my life?” I looked at her oddly before pulling her into me. “My life is exactly where you belong, and tonight, I’m not going to pretend that you’re not. This may be the last time I get to see you, and I want to make the most of it.”