Chapter 34

“Everything will go just fine,” Draco tried to sooth me on Valentine ’s Day, the day that I would break the heart of a totally sweet guy who didn’t deserve to treated that way. “You’ll tell him, comfort him just not too much, then you’ll meet me at the three broomsticks so we can start our Valentine’s Day. Trust me. Everything will be fine.”

I sighed and stopped walking so that way I could look at him properly. “I’m going to break his heart. How will everything be okay for him, Draco? Fred is really sweet and caring despite his irresponsibility with decision making. Draco, I’m going to break his heart and chop it into a million tiny pieces. He loves me. I don’t think I can do it.”

He kissed me on the forehead. “You have way too kind of a heart, Court, but I guess that’s one of the many things that I love about you. As I said, everything will be just fine. Now, go,” he kissed me on the forehead on last time before I walked away from him and joined Kam and Hermione in the crowd of people at the bottom of the stairs in the Entrance Hall.

“Hey,” Kam smiled at me. “So, what are you two doing for V-day.” She nudged me in the side with her elbow. “It isn’t called V-day for nothing you know,” she then wriggled her eyebrows in the most unattractive way that I just had to laugh.

“I actually have no idea what we’re doing. He just told me to meet him at the Three Broomsticks when I get finished tearing Fred’s heart out of his chest,” I smirked at the two.

Hermione’s mouth was hanging open. “You’re breaking the heart of one of your best mate’s brother’s hearts on Valentine’s Day just so you can be with a deatheating scoundrel like-“

“Hermione!” Kam shrieked. “You really need to shut or mouth from time to time. I’m sure a know-it-all like you should at least know that much.”

“Kamrynn, you know very well that it’s dangerous for Courtney to be with-“

“Oh!” Kam shrieked yet again. “For the brightest witch in our year, you sure are a dumbass sometimes. You know that, Hermione?”

I couldn’t help but laugh. That’s Kam for you. At least she stopped Hermione from getting too loud or saying Draco’s name out in the public where anyone could hear her. Then where would I be? My secret would be found out. Draco’s secret would be found out. The shit would really hit the fan after that little scene, and I didn’t want to be anywhere near when that happened.

“Well, I’m sorry for stating my opinion. Apparently, it means absolutely nothing!” Hermione yelled, causing everyone to look our way.

“Herms,” I said and playfully tugged at one of her curls. “You opinion means the world to me, just not in a place where everyone can hear you. You do that that would be just as dangerous for me, right?”

She nodded in defeat. “I guess you’re right.”

“What is this? Hermione admitting that someone else it right,” Kam laughed and playfully punched Hermione in the arm. “Besides,” Kam then said to me, “she’s just got her panties in a knot because she doesn’t have a date this lovely Valentine’s day.”

“What?! I do not care whether I have a date or not. I don’t need a date to feel complete because I am the coolest girl in the whole wide world, Kamrynn. Yes, that’s right. Even cooler than you!” Hermione laughed as she poked Kam in the arm.

Kam just shook her head at Hermione. “You know how stupid you just sounded right there? Besides, you can’t be cooler than me. That’s just not possible, bookworm.”

“Wait a sec,” I said, looking from Kam to Hermione. “Why aren’t you two fighting as usual? I mean, I think that it’s fantastic that you two have settled your differences, but what the hell happened?” It was just so weird to think about those two actually being friends. You know what I mean?