Chapter 2

My heart fluttered and a smile tugged on my lips when I saw him standing there. I couldn’t believe that he had actually come down on my birthday. I guess my wish had come true after all, which never happens. I never get what I want, so this was definitely a turn of the tables. I quickly lost my smile as he turned to me.

“There you are, Flint. I was afraid that I was going to have to wait forever,” he said with no emotion in his face whatsoever.

I walked over to him with the realization that perhaps my wish hadn’t come true. “Well, now that I’m down here. What do you want?” If he was going to keep the hatred going, so was I. “I mean you never come over to my house.” I crossed my arms over my chest as if I was the one getting impatient.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out an envelope. “Father insisted that I give you this, no matter how much I told him that you shouldn’t even be invited. Gryffindor blood traitors don’t belong among pureblood wizards. It’s just not right.”

“Perhaps I don’t even want to attend,” I retorted as he sighed and handed me the envelope.

“That would be best,” he said and turned towards the door.

“Wait,” I called, opening the envelope. “I’ll RSVP right now.”

He slowly turned around. “You’re killing me, Flint.”

“Oh, will you shut it, Mafoy?” I said, pulling the invitation out of its prison with a smirk. “A Christmas party? Will there be eggnog and hot chocolate?” I asked, continuing on all about the little get together that Lusious oh so wanted me at.

I heard him groan as if I was irritating him. “Why don’t you just check no already? You’re wasting my time, which is very precious if you didn’t now.”

I grinned. Oh, how fun it was to get under his skin. “Perhaps I need to think about this some more. I mean, if there is going to be waltzing and tom foolery then I need to make a wise decision,” I fell onto the couch as I said the last part.

“Who cares if there’s going to be waltzing and tom foolery? You said that you didn’t want to attend, so just check the no box and let me be in my way,” he said impatiently as he sank down in the cushion beside me. “Besides, who uses words like tom foolery anymore?”

I looked up at him and shrugged. “I do, and I said ‘perhaps I don’t want to be in attendance’.  That’s completely different from saying that I’m not going,” I said, pretending to bit my nails. “Besides,” I said, mocking him, “who doesn’t think their decisions count even when it’s just deciding to attend a party?”

“Just mark the damn box, Flint, before I really lose my patience!” he yelled and got up. “I don’t need any of your shit. This is exactly why I didn’t want to invite you. You would just torture me all night long!”

I picked up the quill on the table and marked my choice before standing and clearing my throat. “I have made my decision. Would you like my RSVP?”

“Finally,” he tore the invitation from my hand and turning towards the door. “Wait,” he paused mid step before turning back around to me. “You marked yes?”

I giggled from my seat. “I thought it out thoroughly, and I would be delighted to attend. I’ll try not to torture you that night.” I stood and placed my hands on my hips. “Or perhaps I will. Picking on you makes it all worthwhile.”

“You kill me, Flint. You literally kill me,” he said through clinched teeth before turning back to the door. “By the way,” he called over his shoulder, “Happy birthday.”

“What was that?” I asked, just wanting to hear him say it again.

“Happy birthday. Goodness, are you daft?” he smirked before closing the door behind him with a click.

I smiled as my heart started to flutter once more. He remembered. He actually remembered. I couldn’t believe that he actually said it to me. I didn’t even think he thought about me anymore. He never wished me a happy birthday before that. It was a start towards the friendship that I wanted. It was definitely a start.

“Courtney?” called my mother from the steps. “Are you ready to go?”

“Ready!” I called back and made my way over to the steps, where she was waiting for me.

“I already sent your things over to the house. We’re going straight to the Burrow. The Weasley’s invited us over for dinner,” she said, eyeing me oddly. “What are you so happy about? Did the meeting with that male caller go well?”

I nodded. “It went very well.”

“Did you get a kiss?” she teased, taking my hand.

I shook my head. “No, but it’s just as good. Let’s go.”

I closed my eyes tightly and prepared myself for the awkward sensation of being yanked through a tube. I hated apperating. It was so not on my list of things to do on the next year to come. A mixture of different smiles entered my nostrils as we touched down. It no longer smelled like gross potpourri and house elf. It smelled like grass and food. I opened my eyes and smiled up at the Burrow. Inside would be one of my best mates for sure, Ron Weasley. He was actually my closest guy friend. I could always depend on him. He was like another brother to me.

“Hello dearies!” Molly Weasley called to us as soon as we walked in the door. “Look at you, Beverly!” she gushed as she went to hug my mother. “You’re about ready to pop it looks like.”

Mum nodded. “Nearly there.”

“And you,” Molly then gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “You’ve grown so tall and beautiful. You’re really going to be breaking hearts this year. I can tell,” she smiled before pulling my mother off into the kitchen.

I sighed before walking  up the stairs to the very top of the house, where Ron’s bedroom was. Sure enough, I found him there with Hermione and Kamrynn Diggory. Kamrynn was a friend of ours who was also in Gryffindor. I was more of her friend than Ron, Hermione, or Harry. I was her best friend, actually. All three were lost in a game of wizard chess, so I just knocked on the door.

“Courtney!” Kamrynn squealed as she ran over to me and pulled me into a bone crushing hug. “I’m so glad that you’re here! There is so much that I have to tell you, but in privacy of course. Oh, I’ve missed you so much, you don’t even know! You don’t even know!”

I rubbed my right ear a bit after she pulled away because that was the one she had been yelling in. “That’s all fine and dandy, Kam, as long as I don’t go deaf first, everything will be okay.”

“It’s good to see you, Court,” Ron laughed as I took a seat beside him on the floor. “You look different,” he said with a smirk. “I don’t know what it is, but I’m pretty sure that…”

I gave him an odd look because he just kept staring at me with the oddest expression on his face. “Pretty sure that…what?” I prompted him.

“Nothing,” he said, looking back down at the chessboard. “How about…knight to E7.”

I exchanged glances with Kamrynn before watching Hermione lose terribly to Ron. It really wasn’t her game. She was good at everything else, but Ron had her beat when it came to chess. He was a wizard at chess! No one could beat him. Well, at least I haven’t seen anyone beat him yet. I’ve came close a couple times, but I’ve never gotten to check mate him.

“Whut ez all dis racket?” called a French accent through the house, obviously female.

“Who is that?” I asked, knowing that it wasn’t any of the Weasleys.