Chaper 21

I was so happy when my package finally arrived on time. I thought that mum had forgotten about me and that I would have to attend the party in jeans and a nice blouse, but she pulled through like she always did. I thought that she would’ve been so busy with the baby, but apparently I was wrong. I had been in the Great Hall for lunch and my mum’s owl dropped off the package and the letter. I was so excited to see which one of my many dresses that she had pulled out of my closet, but that giddiness soon faded as I walked out of the Great Hall and into someone.

“I’m sorry,” his voice filled my ears as soon as I looked into his eyes.

I lost my smile. “Good to know,” I nodded as I turned to walk away.

“Courtney,” he called after me, so I turned to see what he wanted. “Are you really going with Potter to that party tonight?”

He sounded jealous, so it had worked. “I don’t see how it’s any business of yours, but,” I added to see how he would react, “yes. I am.”

“Why?” he looked into my eyes, which made me catch my breath.

“If someone would just be real with me for just five minutes, I might be attending this party with him. So, I’m going with Harry instead. He’s been nicer to me than some people have been these past few weeks,” I said, letting my anger out and wanting my words to sting.

It looked like I had succeeded because he looked down at the stone floor. “I’m sorry. For everything. Hopefully in time, I’ll be able to tell you what’s going on, but until then , just know that-“

“I don’t need to know anything, especially if it’s coming from you. If you’re sure you’re sorry, then come and find me when you feel like it. Isn’t that what you said you’d do anyway?” I yelled, turning on my heel and leaving the entrance hall.

I couldn’t stand there and talk to him. I was too angry to even listen to what he wanted to tell me, which he was probably going to tell me that he loved me. I highly doubt that. He’s just playing me like he did to every other girl he’s ever gone out with. Pansy is just one of them that he happens to go back out with every year. So far, I haven’t heard if they’ve tried it out this year. I bet it was because I was the one in his sights for the first term. Lucky me, right?

“Court?” Kamrynn called me from her room. “What’s wrong? Why are you stomping so loudly?”

I sighed. “Is it that obvious?”

She nodded. “It really is. Hey, how about we get ready together? For the party? Be here at five,”
and with that, she closed the door behind her. Apparently, she knew that I would say yes anyway. I needed to get the newest Draco news off my chest. It felt so good to do it a couple of weeks ago.

I opened the door to my dorm and slammed down onto my bed. Lucky me, Lavender was also in the room, curling her hair with magic. I rolled my eyes and laid back on my bed, sweat starting to roll down my face.

“Court? What’s wrong BFF?” she asked and I felt my bed sink down with her weight as well.

I sighed and sat up on my elbows. “Will you just leave me alone? That’s what I want. Can’t you go down to Romilda’s dorm and gossip like you usually do with her?”

“And leave my BFF to deal with a problem on her own after she helped me get together with my Won-Won?” she smiled and tapped my nose with the tip of her finger. “You’re so silly!”

I smacked her hand out of my face. I was finally done with her crap. It was time to lay down some ground rules. “Listen, Lavender. You and I are not BFF’s and never were. I didn’t help you get with Ron-“ I paused, actually I did by trying to warn him and he took it as I was trying to get them together and took up on it. “Okay, I did help you get with Ron, but that was by accident. I didn’t even mean it. He even hits on other girls because he’s so bored with you. He should be with Kamrynn like I was trying to do in the first place, but no. You had to get in the way with your so called ‘feelings’. Anyway, back on topic, here’s some rules. You don’t talk to me, and I won’t talk to you. We are not BFF’s. We hate each other, okay?”