Chapter 29

Draco’s POV

I was so grateful when I made it back to Hogwarts. Astoria assured me that she would do everything in her power to move the wedding date much, much later. The Dark Lord wants us to be married as soon as possible, before my mission went through that is. I just want to vomit every time I heard the word ‘marriage’ and ‘April’. Yes, that’s right. The wedding was scheduled in April, which was just a short three months away. The only thought that came to my mind every time someone mentioned the wedding, besides the vomiting, was how and when I was going to tell Courtney. It would break her poor little heart to pieces. I just knew it.

“Draco,” Snape scolded me for the fifth time that night. “I know that you have taken this on quickly, and I admire you for that, but there is still so much I have to teach you. You must concentrate. We’re almost through with Occlumacy, and then you can go back to your girlfriend for whatever time you guys have left,” he then smirked. “A short three months, could be less.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Let’s just get this session over with.”

I sighed and closed my eyes. Sweat was pouring from every pour of my body. We had been there for almost two hours, and I had blocked him every time but that one. I was distracted thinking about…well, things. I readied myself as he took in a few deep breaths before murmuring the spell that he could use to get into my head. I felt a little tickle of sorts before I just mentally slapped it away. Snape produced a small smile on his face.

“You have succeeded where others have failed,” he told me. “Come back next Saturday and tell me the goings on of the week. I’m sure that he would want to keep a close eye on you know that he knows how slow your progress is coming along. You are dismissed.”

I didn’t leave thought. There were questions swarming around my head that needed the answers that he could provide. He didn’t seem surprised as he sat at the chair behind his desk. I took the seat in front of his desk.

“Severus,” I sighed. “Is there a way to stop my marriage to Astoria?”

He shook his head. “The only think to stop this marriage was if you were to defeat the Dark Lord or as a reward for your good behavior, but I doubt that you will accomplish either. He’s already disappointed in you, but I am not.”

I stopped. “You’re not?”

He nodded with a smirk. “I am proud of you, Draco.”

I stared at him in wonder. No one had ever said those words to me before. My mother has told me that I’ve done a great job or that I’m improving tremendously, but no one has ever told me that they were proud of me. It was a feeling that I had never felt before. I couldn’t help but smile as I continued to be awestruck. Never would I have guessed that anyone, let alone Snape, would be proud of me.

“Thank you,” I said and meaning it.

He nodded. “You should go now, Draco. I’ll see you next weekend.”

“She would be proud of you too if you explained,” Snape’s voice drifted out with me.

He was right. I needed to explain everything to Courtney. It was no longer fair that she had to hurt in the dark like that. It wasn’t right what I was doing to her. Hell, my whole life was all about doing the wrong thing. I just wish I could turn back time and change everything that I’ve done and not followed my father’s orders. My life would’ve been hard, but at least I could’ve hide pride and dignity.

Courtney. The thought made my heart hurt as well as remind me that we didn’t do our project for History of Magic. Binns was going to kill us if we didn’t have anything to present to the class the next day. So, instead of heading to my dorm or the third floor, I headed for the library.