Chapter 7

It was driving me crazy that I didn’t know what he meant by it. I was taking out all my frustration on my Potions work, and Ron was getting a bit irritated by it. I think I was just irritating him in general. He had arrived to class in a fairly decent mood, but it had disintegrated by the point where I was crushing the eyeballs instead of juicing them. I wasn’t even really looking at the eyeballs. I had my eyes on Draco with his partner, Blaise Zambini. I was staring at him but trying to figure him out, which wasn’t getting me anywhere.

“Stop staring at him. People are going to think you actually like him. Besides,” Ron grimaced at me, “it’s kind of creepy.”

I sighed and looked down at the eyeballs, which were now basically juice. I shrugged and threw them into the cauldron, which was a bad idea because the potion rose up and out of the cauldron and all over the table and floor. I shrieked because the potion was eating through my shoes. I groaned. At least I had another pair of converse up in my closet. After a few moments of not thinking (and no one else thinking), I took out my wand and made the whole mess disappear, which was good. The bad thing was we had to start over. Ron was beyond pissed.

“What in the bloody hell was that?” he hissed at me.

I shrugged. “I’m a little distracted today.”

“A little?” he huffed sarcastically.

I looked over at Kamrynn, who was laughing at me with Hermione. Oh, did I mention that they were Potions partners as well? Looks like my accident brought them closer for just a few moments. At least that’s a good thing. They’re learning.

“So,” Ron sighed, changing the subject. “Quidditch tryouts are tomorrow. Have you decided if you’re going to be trying out or not?”

“I am,” I smiled as I properly juiced the eyeballs this time. “I signed up for beater and chaser, so that way I have two chances to get on the team. I actually want to try out for keeper, but that’s your thing.”

“I could always use a little competition,” he smirked, slicing the frog skin again. “I promise that I would go easy on you.”

“Nah, I’m not trying out because I would beat you,” I giggled. I then laughed because my giggle came out a little funny. We were both then holding our sides laughing at practically nothing. Everyone was looking at us, especially Draco, which made me laugh even harder.

“Okay. Stop!” Ron yelled, breathless.

“I…can’t…” I said between laughs.

We calmed down after another laughing fit, which was fueled by Seamus blowing up his potion in his face. I hadn’t laughed like that for a while. It was nice to be able to do that, despite the fact that Slughorn almost gave us detention for it. It was the best.

“What was the laughing all about?” Kam asked me and Ron at dinner that night. We looked at each other and started laughing again. She just rolled her eyes and went back to eating, which made us laugh even harder.

When I finally made it back to my dorm, Lavender was waiting up for me. I sighed and went to change into my pajamas before lying down. I laid in silence and then decided that she wasn’t going to talk to me that night. I turned over, preparing for sleep when it started.

“Court, are you asleep?” she whisper-yelled from her bed.

I sighed, but didn’t answer her, which was a terrible idea because she then came over and pounced on me.

“Oh, glad to see you’re awake,” she said, still sitting on my bed. “So, are you going to Quidditch tryouts tomorrow?”

I glared at her and rubbed my sore stomach. “Yes, not that it’s any of your business.”