Chapter 23

Lying in my bed seemed like the best way to spend my holidays. I had hardly moved from it since I had gotten there, avoiding just about everyone. I couldn’t tell anyone what was wrong because it wasn’t my secret to tell. It just bothered me that he knew that I loved him. Why wouldn’t he tell me something like that? Why couldn’t he tell me that my life would be at stake if we were to be together? I would’ve understood, but I still didn’t fully understand. Why was he a deatheater in the first place?

“Courtney?” came my mum’s voice as she opened my door without knocking. “Will you please come downstairs? Draco’s here and-“

“Tell him I don’t want to see him,” I said, pulling my blankets even closer around me. I didn’t want to see him just yet. I couldn’t see him just yet. How could I ever accept the fact that he is a traitor? “Tell him I’m sick or something.”

“He says that it’s about the project that you two have due after the holiday,” she sounded closer, and she was, pulling on my blankets. “Come on. You’ve been up here moping since you’ve got here. It’s been just about a week, and Christmas is tomorrow. The party is tomorrow, so you need to get out of this bed sooner rather than later. How about right now?”

I sighed and sat up to look her in the eye. “That’s fine. I don’t mind getting out of bed, but I don’t want to see Draco. Okay? Can you just tell him to leave or something?”

“Look, whatever it is you and him are going through, you need to talk it out,” she sat down beside me on the bed, her blonde hair bouncing. “You do understand that, right? You can’t hide from your problems. You have to face it head on.”

I’ve always loved that about my mom. You know, how she gives me advice without actually asking me what’s wrong. She lets me have my privacy. I know most girls would like to have a mom like that, and I considered myself lucky.

I nodded in response. “I know, but I’d rather not deal with him until I get back to school. Okay?”

“I’ll tell him, but I bet later you wish you would’ve done it here and not in the public eye,” she kissed my forehead and got up to leave. She did have a point. “Should I send him up then?” she smirked and turned when she made it to my door way.

I groaned. “Yes, but in a few minutes. I need to get dressed first,” I whined as I pulled the covers away from me and swung my legs over the edge of the bed and made my way to the closet. I pulled out a pair of jeans and a pink sweater. After changing, I opened my bedroom door to find Draco standing there waiting.

His grey eyes bored into mine. “We really need to talk,” he smirked, walking towards me.

I stepped aside and let him inside. I closed the door behind him. Then I turned to him and crossed my arms. He said we needed to talk, but instead he was walking around my room, taking in every detail of it so to speak. I sighed and started to tap my barefoot against the carpet, which didn’t make a thud like I was hoping it would. He picked up a picture off my dresser. It was one of many that I kept there. Pictures of my mom and dad. Pictures of Marcus and Alex. Pictures of myself and my friends. I walked over and looked over his shoulder at the one he was looking at. It was of Kam and myself. Mom took it the year before when she came over in the summer. We were laughing up a storm about something. I noticed his lips curl into a smile. I smiled as well. He then took the picture out of it and took another out of his pocket and placed it into the last picture’s spot. I gasped when I saw it.

“You kept it after all,” I sighed, beaming at the two of us on the beach, our two younger selves.

He nodded. “Of course I did. I might have acted like an ass about it, but I couldn’t just throw it away. I mean, I tried to. I wanted to forget you ever existed in the first place, but that’s not possible. I can’t ever forget about you,” he turned to me with the same grin on his face. “You are the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I don’t want to let you go. I just need some more time. I just hope you can understand. I will find you and tell you everything when I can. I promise,” he stroked my cheek with his warm fingers. My hand automatically rose and covered his.