Chapter 25

Draco’s POV

I wasn’t sure I heard my dad right. Did he say that I was going to marry this girl that was standing right next to me? I hadn’t even said one word to her at that point. I was going to marry a girl that I hadn’t even talked to. That’s just peachy.

“Draco?” the girl’s voice entered my thoughts as I was pretty sure I was about to black out. “Are you okay?” she asked and I looked over at her. Sure, she was attractive with blonde hair and dark brown eyes, but she wasn’t Courtney.

I nodded stiffly. “I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? You’ve gone pale,” she pointed out.

I shrugged. “Doesn’t matter,” I said shortly.

“Pumpkin?” mom was the one to ask me this time. “Are you sure you’re okay? Astoria is right, you have gone pale. You’re not getting sick, are you?”

“I just need some air. Can I be excused?” I asked as everyone sat down to the food that the house elves were carrying in. “I just need to think. I’ll be right back. I promise.”

Mom nodded. I kissed her on the cheek in thanks and headed for the exit. It was damn cold out, but I didn’t care. Why hadn’t my parents told me that they were marrying me off instead of telling me at the same time they tell the whole world? It would’ve been a lot less heart shattering on my part. I mean, why can’t I marry the girl I want? Does the Dark Lord have to have control over that as well? Of course he does. He can’t have us ruining our blood statuses and breeding with the blood traitors and muggles. What a catastrophe that would be! I used to believe the same way, but Courtney would be considered a blood traitor now. How could I not love her? She’s just so perfect. She’s perfect for me and nothing will ever change that, especially some girl who went to Beautbeax. I think she was older than me as well. I just didn’t see a future with her, mainly because I the only think I knew about her was her name. How could I marry someone and not know them?

“Hey.”

I turned and saw Astoria walking towards me. Why did she follow me out there? Couldn’t I have been lucky and got a girl who didn’t want to marry me? I know I’m good looking, but I was just hoping for once in my life for a girl who wasn’t attracted to me at all. So far, it hasn’t happened, and apparently I wasn’t going to get so lucky.

“What are you doing out here?” I asked, not sounding as rude as I wanted to be.

“You’re not the only one that needed to think, Draco,” she smirked. “I don’t think I’m the only one whose parents didn’t enlighten them about the situation at hand, am I right?”

I nodded. “So, you’re in shock as well. Nice to know.”

“I also don’t want to go through with it,” she said, not looking at me, “As good looking as you are, I still don’t want to do it. I’m not in love with you, and I never will be. All I want is my Rolf.”

“Rolf?” I asked, starting to like her just a little.

She nodded. “Rolf is the love of my life. I met him when I traveled around Europe right after I graduated. We met in Paris. Afterward, he came with me on the rest of the trip. We just got back a few weeks ago. Mum and dad didn’t like him and threw him out at once. I threw a hissy fit and haven’t been out of my room in weeks.”

“So, how old are you if you don’t mind me asking?”

She then looked at me. “I’m nineteen, too old for you. Three years is a big age difference when the girl is the older one. You know what I mean?”