❄ 23 ❄️ The Showdown ❄️

23 ❄️ The Showdown

Wren grinned at him suddenly, her ice-blue eyes sparkling wickedly.

"Excellent," she said as she rubbed her hands together in anticipation.

The others all waited with bated breath as they both stood staring at each other, waiting for either one of them to make the first move. Nothing happened. After a few more seconds of waiting, Jasper inclined his head towards her, indicating for her to go first. Rhys growled in warning as Ivory smiled and shook her own head, declining his offer.

"I don't attack unless I'm provoked," she informed him.

Jasper took a moment to stare at her, assessing her emotions, searching for the truth. Going by the honesty that radiated off her in waves, he knew that she was telling the truth. He glanced at Edward just to be sure. He nodded his head in answer to his silent question. Jasper turned his gaze back onto Wren and she smiled back at him, her ice-blue eyes sparkling mischievously.

"Now that you know that I'm not lying, may we begin?" she asked him.

Jasper nodded his head in consent and they both stood still once more, assessing one another. She was a head taller than Alice but still shorter than him so he knew that her size and speed would give him some trouble. He sprinted towards her suddenly, trying to catch her off guard. Wren stepped sideways suddenly as he neared her and he ran right past her, missing her by mere inches. Jasper stopped in his tracks and turned towards her, arching a brow in a silent question. She smiled back at him, her eyes sparkling innocently.

"No, I'm not using Alice's abilities and no I will not continue to use Edward's abilities," Wren spoke, answering his unspoken thoughts.

Jasper frowned at her and waited a few minutes, assessing her emotions. She was calm, cool, and collected. He could feel the shock, confusion, and awe rolling off his family in waves, distracting him from the task at hand.

"Your emotions are not helping," he growled at them, frustrated.

"We can't help it. It's not like we can turn them off and on like a light switch." Embry grumbled back, annoyance sweeping through his body.

Everyone's emotions except for his own were gone suddenly. It was like somebody had indeed flipped the switch on their emotions. Jasper blinked as a mixture of stunned confusion and awe coursed through his body. Wren smiled at him just then, her frosty white eyes fading back to their icy blueness.

"Better?" she asks him.

He stared at her shock. She did that? She turned off everyone's emotions.

"Impossible," Edward whispered quietly, his voice filled with a mixture of shock and envy.

"What?" Bella asks him curiously. "What's going on?"

There was a note of annoyance in her voice and Jasper remembered how annoyed she got when she was human whenever she was left out on something really important. He grinned slightly at the memory.