26 - A Chance

I crept into the room and the door shut behind me. I was engulfed in darkness except for a single lightbulb that lit up a medical bed in the center. I looked around the dark room and saw a few Astynomia members standing guard. Dork face was one of them, and his face glowed a ghostly white.

"Please take a seat, Ms. Anonymous."

A voice seemed to come from the head table that was located on the opposite side of the room from me. I made my way to the sterile bed and sat down, facing the desk. The hygienic paper crinkled under me, and I tried to keep my breath as steady as I could. But my heart screamed as if I had been running.

Dr. Oneiro sat at his desk with his ominous, white eyes glowing in the dark. The stars on his face floated across the bridge of his nose and it would've been peaceful to look at if it hadn't been on the Doctor's face.

"I see you did not make it to the Leader Village." He smiled.

"No, sir," I answered. I don't want to be here.

"It's a shame," he smirked, "What username did you end up as?"

"Username 2, sir." I grimaced.

"You are unhappy about it."

Of course I'm unhappy. I wanted to be Username 1. I needed to be Leader.

"No sir," I lied.

A soft chuckle came from the shadowy figure in front of me.

"I am indeed surprised by your actions, Miss Anonymous."

I looked up at him. His eyes twinkled mysteriously and the galaxy that floated around on his face made me feel uneasy.

"Your eyes, Miss Anonymous." He pointed at them. "Did you do something?"

"After the Exam, one happened to be black while the other happened to be brown."

"Yes," he softly hissed. "They are not your normal grey."

A silence filled the room and I resisted the urge to squirm in my spot. I felt like a poor moth that was pinned under a microscope. The Astynomia and doctor had their eyes on me and it was suffocating.

Why am I even here?

"Did you need something from me, Doctor?" I bravely asked.

The place where his eyebrows should have been rose as if he was amused.

"Yes, Miss Anonymous." His voice was quiet but stern. "Do you wish to join Winter in the Leader Village?"

I felt my gut fall. What? Is he giving me another shot at the exam?

"Pardon?" I asked him to repeat what he had said.

"Would you like to join the others in the Leader Village, Miss Anonymous?" His eyes twinkled like the stars on his face and, for a second, I lost sight of his eyes in the galaxy.

"I'm sorry, Doctor. I don't understand." I gulped. The sudden thought of being able to be with Zero again made me elated. We could be paramours again and we could see each other every single day. Maybe we could even share the same cottage again. But on the other side, I was wary of the Doctor's plans.

What exactly does he want from me?

"You see," he sighed as he got up to walked towards me. "I had a thought."

His slow and steady steps made me self conscious of how slow the time was passing. I clenched my hands into fists and adrenaline made my sense tingle.

"What if we go back to the traditional way." The long body of the Doctor stood in front of me. His uniform glowed under the light of the lightbulb and he cocked his head to one side. Watching me.

"The traditional way, Doctor?" I asked.

"We could have a male leader," he said, "and a female leader."

I stared blankly at the dark wall opposite of me, past Dr. Oneiro. My heart slowed and matched its beat to the clock that ticked. I heard nothing but silence and my fists loosened.

I can be the female leader? I can be with Zero?

A sudden knock came from the office door and the Doctor's gaze broke away from my face. I turned toward the sound as an Astynomia member shifted to answer the door. The exchange of soft murmurs could be heard and a few seconds later, I saw Cotton pop his head into the office.

"What is it Nurse Cotton?" Dr. Oneiro asked.

"It is time for Ano-, I mean," he corrected himself. "Miss Anonymous to go to bed."

"Ah," the Doctor looked at his watch that loosely hung onto his skinny wrist. "It is already late. You may go Miss Anonymous." He smiled at me. His nose inches away from mine.

I hadn't realized he was standing this close to me.

"Thank you, Dr. Oneiro." He made way as I stood up and bowed before turning around to walk to the door. When Cotton had his hand on my elbow to escort me out, I heard the Doctor speak.

"You are an interesting Dreamer."

And the door was closed.

A/N: Sorry it's a short chapter :( But hey, it's an update.

What do you think Dr. Oneiro is planning?? Do you think Anonymous can live with Zero again?

***THIS IS IMPORTANT***

Do you want a sequel or should I keep all the chapters in one book?