Chapter 46 - There is no such thing as Immortality

(A/N: Not long now, guys! Approximately 4 chapters to go! :D)

Chapter 46

To be honest, I was pretty proud of myself; I had stayed in a country longer than a few days! I had lived Ludwig and Gil for almost an entire month, choosing to leave on the 27th of January to head to Canada and visit my good pals and buddies Yekaterina and Matthew before I would head south to New York for the conference which was going to ultimately decide my fate.

The last time I had seen Yekaterina and Matthew, they had kind of kicked me out so I was not really sure what to expect when I chose to visit. It was not like we left on bad terms, they had said I needed to clear my act up a bit before I had visited them and well, I suppose I had. It was not like I was going to get blind drunk again.

It was actually a really stupid idea visiting Yekaterina and Matthew. In true Taishya-style, I had decided to not call them before I landed in Canada so I really had no idea if whether or not they would be on Prince Edward Island or not. I took a boat from the mainland to the island and then hired a car to drive to their little secret patch of wilderness. In true Taishya-luck, Yekaterina and Matthew were home.

The best thing about Canadians was that they did not lock their doors. Perhaps, the subtle indication of neighborhood trust and welcoming was a nice gesture but I don't think I would have ever felt safe enough to have kept my house door open, especially now with this new found fame. I was able to get into the house easy; throwing my suitcase under the coat stand and waddling through into the living room.

"Taishya! Hi!" Yekaterina looked surprised, as expected, before she gave me a small smile as she sat up from the sofa and gave me a hug.

"Hey!" I smiled at my some-what-sister and embraced her back as best as I could with the huge lump in front of me. "I am sorry, I would have called but, well, I didn't."

"It's fine, you should sit down." Yekaterina lead me to the sofa and handed me a magazine to read. "I will make you a cup of tea or coffee or whatever."

Yekaterina left me to arrange a drink in the kitchen and it struck me odd that she did not wait for my clarification on whether I wanted a coffee or tea or not. I supposed her mind was on other things. She seemed a bit withdrawn and not her usual, subtly positive self. She looked skinnier too and I had though perhaps it was because she was wearing black but maybe not...

People always say black makes you look thinner and I had been wearing a lot of it. Black had been my go-to colour but black was not Yekaterina's. Seeing her in black just gave the whole atmosphere a moody feeling.

I half-heartedly flipped through the magazine and read the titles; Justin Bieber Throws Wild Party, Celine Dion Spotted in British Columbian Café and Taishya Rovanoff Secret Dates with Matthew Williams...ha! Yeah, right! That was funny.

Tossing the magazine aside, I got up and walked into the kitchen. Yekaterina was mucking around with the jug so I decided to help by pulling the milk bottle out of the fridge and setting it on the counter. I noticed she had two teabags set aside so I supposed she had elected that we were both going to have tea.

"How has life been since I last saw you, Taishya? Brother tells me you received an award." Yekaterina spoke as she bustled around pulling out two mugs from an overhead cupboard.

"Yeah, but I think I stuffed it by bringing upon that meeting." I explained with a heavy sigh, "Like I am pretty much not even allowed to enter Russia now."

"But I think the meeting needed to happen, da?" Yekaterina frowned as she poured the hot water over the teabags which were now, of course, placed in the mugs.