Chapter 41 - Robyert is Definitely Not a Truther

Chapter 41

It's funny how much you miss something when you have been trying with all your energy to avoid it. Like when you say to yourself, "I'm going to stop eating chocolate for a month!" and then you eat your first piece after the month and you wonder why you ever stopped in the first place. Landing in my home country felt like that. When I landed in the country I had been trying to avoid for half a year, I felt a huge sense of relief; I was home.

Home was drastically different from the last time I had been there. In the airport people were glancing twice at me; some waving, others nudging their companions and a few brave people coming up to me and asking for selfies or for me to sign various items. I obliged with their requests; I smiled for their selfies and signed suitcases and hats and even one guy's stomach. It was very humbling from my fellow Russians and of course I lapped up the fame the people from my homeland gave me.

Things got weirder as I walked through the Moscow airport. Further down from border security, a young man was selling newspapers and on the newspaper's front page was me! It took me only a second to realize that I didn't even have one-hundred roubles on me and I wasn't about to hand over Alfred's card because it was currently my lifeline.

I backed away from the stand, not wanting to give the kid false hope that I was going to buy one of his papers but my efforts fell. He had seen me and recognized me instantly.

"I'll give you a paper for a photo?" he offered as he picked up one of the paper rolls and waved it about.

"Sure thing." I smirked and hurried to be at his side as he pulled out his phone and placed an arm around my shoulders as we posed for a photo.

"Want to go out for coffee?" he asked hopefully as he placed the newspaper in my hand.

I gently shook my head; the poor kid would only have been about fifteen and I didn't want to be a complete b*tch to him. "You're pushing it now bud, but if you lend me 1000 roubles, I'll pay it back quadruple the amount."

"Okay!" the kid nodded as he fished around for a note in his money bag. I thanked him and made a note to myself to buy him a coffee when I returned the money before I continued walking to the cab area of the airport.

The taxi terminal was buzzing which was totally normal. The gift shop beside the terminal was selling magazines with me on almost every cover which was totally not normal. I walked over to the small store and studied the various titles; 'Taishya's Tell All Life!', 'Rovanoff Reeling After Russia Caught Kissing Another Girl', 'Yes, it's official! Taishya's expecting twins!'.

Twins? Really? God, I hoped not! I giggled to myself as I wondered where the hell those gossip magazines got their information? A 'source close to Taishya' apparently. That was stupid. There were no 'sources' close to me; not Ivan, not Robyert, not anyone. I snapped a selfie with the magazines and then contemplated posting it on Facebook. I decided against it.

The people at the front desk of the shop were giving me strange looks like they were not able to comprehend just who was in their store. I chose to ignore their gaping mouths and carry on going about my business. I needed to hail a cab.

My need was fulfilled in seconds as a taxi pulled up next to me. I sat in the back to avoid another 'OMG-it's-Taishya!' reaction. I was not really sure where I wanted to be taken too. I was not all that up to seeing my 'friends' at the Agency and I was not going to pay my parent's old house a visit...so I supposed the best place was my apartment?

The cab driver was moody when he heard that I needed him to drive out of the suburbs of Moscow. He drove around a round-a-bout five times and claimed with every turn to have kept missing a lane but I was sceptical. He was just trying to burn fuel and make the trip worth more money.