Chapter 32 - Suprises, Suprises (and bad tastes in girls)...

Chapter 32

"Can you have a baby, Mummy?" I asked as I grabbed onto the side of my mother's lab coat.

"No Taishya Evgeniya." my mother shook her head, "If I had a baby, they would die. Just like I will and just like you will."

"But I don't want to die!" I yelled and wiped a few stray tears from my eyes, "And I don't want you to die! I don't want you to leave me ever! Promise me you will stay here forever!"

"There is no such thing as forever." my mother said sternly as she removed my fingers from her tights which were ever so slowly being pulled down from her waist due to my frustrated grip, "In a few years I will welcome death and when you get to my age, you will too. It will be excruciatingly painful and you will feel like you have a tonne of bricks on your lungs. You won't have eaten for days, perhaps even weeks and you won't be able to stop shaking, and you will be restless until you die."

I sat on the floor in silence, disturbed by my mother's harsh description of her predicted death. The only sound that could be heard was the rustling of a tissue my mother got out of her pocket and coughed in to.

...

I knew from the second I had woken up, I had over slept. The sun was shining brightly into the room which was not usual for a morning in the middle of autumn. I figured it was probably around midday which was not too good of a time...especially because my head hurt from drowsiness either from sleeping over time or last night's 'little' episode...

I convinced myself that getting out of bed was probably the best thing to do. Yekaterina and Matthew had never even attempted to wake me up in the mornings however, the majority of the time I was usually up before them to hug the toilet. Oh God! Had I thrown up last night? I was not sure. I had been wild though...that was not good.

I made my way out to the hall and looked out over the bannister to see if anyone was downstairs. So far, so good. No one was in the living room. I began to wonder if Yekaterina and Matthew had gone out (which would have been a blessing). I had no intention of talking to them for the rest of my life after my little performance only hours before.

Groggily I hopped down from one stair to another and made my way through the eclectic living room to the dining room. I walked through the door and silently sighed as I saw my buddies seated quietly across from each other at the dining table and pondering over a newspaper. Slowly, I turned back around and tiptoed back to the living room.

"Taishya, you know the stairs are pretty creaky." Yekaterina spoke over her shoulder as I stopped mid-step.

"Sh*t." I cussed as I turned back around again and sheepishly made my way into the dining room.

"Take a seat." Yekaterina said quietly as she indicated to the head of the table much to my bitter annoyance. I was going to be in for an interrogation...

I tiptoed over to the seat and quietly pulled it out for myself. My eyes did not leave Matthew or Yekaterina as I did this; I braced myself for the pounce they were saving up to do with my performance the night before.

"It's a nice morning for reading." I grinned as I clasped my hands together and laid my arms on the table feeling a bit like I was filling the roll of a political leader delivering a speech.

"It is afternoon, actually." Matthew said quietly, his eyes fixed on Yekaterina who was still engrossed in the newspaper, "Aboot 1:30."

"Figured as much." I shrugged as I fixed my eyes on Yekaterina who had been seemingly placed with the responsibility of starting the conversation.