Chapter 17 - The Shadows of Hashima

Chapter 17

I looked out the broken window of one of the many rundown buildings that this island housed. Behind me, an old man rocked back and forward on a rocking chair. Beside the old man sat Kiku who was busy speaking in a hushed tone to someone on the phone.

The ocean was wild today. It hit high against the tide. Somewhere at the bottom of the sea lay the remnants of my phone. We all decided it was probably best to be destroyed so it would not get traced or even hacked again. I had pull it apart, snapped the sim card, smashed the battery and thrown it all in the salty pool; farewell phone!

In the corner of the room, was a week’s supply of none-perishable groceries. Georgia, whose actual name was Suzanna Jones had flown her helicopter over to the main island of Japan and had brought piles of food back for us, I had specifically asked her to bring back lots of salty things (potato chips were on my mind) however she had interpreted this as ration packs…yuck!

Where Suzanna was now, I had no idea. The helicopter was safe and sound on it’ landing pad, so it was not like she was out. Yao and Suzanna were most likely exploring the island. I was beginning to see that Yao had a thing for Suzanna which was actually kind of cute. He followed her around like a smitten puppy and sadly, she was oblivious to this.

I could easily get along with Suzanna despite her and I being quite opposite. She was one of those ‘out-there’ people who was very literal and could not understand sarcasm unlike myself who lived on sarcasm. She reminded me a lot of her brother, Alfred.

“Are there no tourists or charters?” Kiku looked up from the ground to ask me, the phone still glued to his ear.

“Zilch.” I confirmed, “The sea is wild, I reckon it is going to rain. I can just see the coast of Nagasaki.”

The old man who rocked on his chair nodded a little. I was not sure if he nodded to himself or in response to what I had just said. Atara Honda was frail, sick and mortal. According to Kiku ‘Atara’ meant ‘new’ but really this man’s name contradicted what he was. He was old and he was dying.

“Would you like me to move you away from the cold breeze, Atara-san?” I asked quietly and watched as Atara continued gently rocking in his chair for a few moments before he spoke ever so softly;

“No thank you, Taishya.”

“If it is getting rearry bad, than terr them.” Kiku was still talking on his phone as he stood up from the concrete floor and walked over to stand beside, “Hai, Hidekaz-san. If you do have that interview, terr the truth. I wirr go with you to crear it up.”      

I sat on the window sill and watched Atara Honda. He was welcoming to me, he had been told by Kiku about me back a few months ago, when I was fake-dating my Japanese ‘friend’. It was upsetting to see this once-landmass so frail. Hashima Island was no more and that was the same for Atara.

“You should not keep her here, Nihon.” Atara looked over at Kiku who put his phone down just to listen to the old man, “If the baby is born here, their doom will be seared.”

“Onry for a week or two, Hashima-san. Just untir everything has settred down.” Kiku nodded as he again picked up his phone.

“Sayonara, Hidekaz-san.” Kiku continued to speak to the phone before quickly hanging up and putting it in his pants pocket.

“Who was that?” I asked Kiku not looking at him as I continued to watch Atara and his constant rocking.

“A friend.” Kiku joined me in watching the old man, “He is a manga artist. Once he was having a rot of troubre for ideas and so I offered him to write about the nations. Now peopre have made rinks with this and the discovery. A rot of girrs are going crazy, farring in rove with the nations of the manga and now knowing we exist.”