Chapter 19 - Rex Quondam, Rexque Futurus

Chapter 19

My feet were above the ground and I felt my arms were around two people's shoulders. I had been knocked out and when I had come around I had realized I had been blindfolded. Whoever these people were, they were walking fast and due to the suspense forward, I felt as though they were descending a staircase.

"You have hold of me, I can't go anywhere." I tried to reason, "Please, at least take this blindfold off!"

They didn't speak. It had been a silent few moments of waking up, their footsteps the only thing I could hear as I tried to work out what was going on. I felt I was having a one-way conversation with myself. I half believed I was dreaming and if my hands were free, I would have pinched myself to have a reality check.

I decided to be strategic, for the second time on this lengthy walk I pretended to faint; letting myself hang limp between these two people. My head hung down as I waited for their reaction. Nothing, they did nothing.

"God!" I yelled and kicked out a little in annoyance. I let my legs flail around though it was useless. Even when I did kick one of them, they didn't react. All they did was hold onto my arms and walk.

"If you are from the FBI, this isn't very professional." I stated with an exasperated sigh, "Don't you guys usually just come in with your guns and blow people to bits? That's what you do in all the TV shows, anyway. And what's with the whole rex worshipping phrase? Huh?"

The air that surrounded me felt moist, I was struggling to maintain an easy breathing rhythm.

"So, because of the whole rex obsession, you can't be from the FBI." I was thinking out loud, "So is it Natalya? I thought she would just do another organ transplant donation if she wanted to get at me again. She got what she wanted anyway. I don't see her dear brother anymore."

I could hear whispers now; inaudible but nonetheless whispers. From the feel of it, we were now on flat ground and hoped that something was going to happen soon for I was growing increasingly anxious.

Perhaps it was the Agency. Perhaps I had done something wrong, violated some code or perhaps it was one of the countries, perhaps they had discovered what I had done, who Alex was. I laughed a little to myself as I realized just how many people probably had a bounty on me. I was ultimately doomed with the amount of enemies I had.

Perhaps this was all some elaborate stunt? I remembered in Italy when I had that near police scare. Anton had been so kind and his partner...Isabella who was actually the two-face Natalya...

It had to be Natalya. I was confused about what quarrel she might have had with me this time, but it had to be her. Only Natalya would do something as elaborate as a kidnapping. It wasn't like he hadn't stalked me before.

"Take the blindfold off her."

I thanked God for the voice that was not my own and anticipated the sight before my eyes as I felt hands pull the material above my ears and slip it off my head.

My eyes betrayed me for a few moments. This place was too dark, too dark and too damp. I was inhaling loudly, pretty much gasping for air. My nose was picking up scents of soil and earth and with that, I realized much to my despair, I was underground.

The two people beside me were extremely muscled men who were now holding tightly onto my wrists which were dropped down on either side of me. The whispers were coming from crowds of people, standing on either side of an isle in which of course I was positioned in. The walls were dirt, and seemed to have huge compartments carved in them holding what appeared to be bones. When I thought I recognized the shape of a human skull I felt queasy and decided to only focus on what my eyes saw in front of me. In front of me were five people, all cloaked in matching black robes; they were a few metres away and because of the horrible lack of light, I was not able to observe their faces.