Chapter 27 - Options

Chapter 27

~Moscow, 1956~

Lani felt a little faint as she was boarded off the plane. Medics surrounded her as she walked into the airport. She had told them she was find to walk, but they insisted on being right beside her—a precaution in response to the ordeal, she supposed.

Lani smiled a little as she made her way downstairs and into the main waiting area of the airport. Rodian was just behind her, looking a lot better than the few days before though still a lacking in spirit which contrasted the liveliness of the airport especially with the crowd in the foyer present for the arrival of the spies.

There in the crowd of enthusiasts stood Joffrey, Livinya, Albert Welnich, Floryshika and Mr Ivan Braginsky. Amongst other agents were two people, one holding an oversized sponge microphone and the other holding a large filming camera.

“You lucky, lucky thing.” Livinya wrapped her arms around Lani before she had even the chance to say hi.

“If luckiness involves a torture prison, than I guess I am.” Lani gave her friend a small smile though felt reluctant to joke. It was good to see Livinya again but it was also confronting. Nothing had changed in Moscow, yet so much had changed around Lani.

“When you are all good I am going to treat you to a manicure on the condition you tell me everything.” Livinya whispered excitedly as she broke her capture of Lani.

“I look forward to it.” Lani nodded as she left her friend and took a few steps towards the next person who had lined up to see her.

“You did well, for what it ended up resulting in.” Albert Welnich gave Lani a soft smile, “I didn’t think you had what was required to be an agent yet you proved me wrong. Sure, we did not gain anything but you managed to obtain what we had which is pretty difficult to do. I am proud to have you on my team, Elanor and I reckon you have a lot of potential to go far.”

“Thank you.” Lani smiled politely as she began to feel a little shy of all the attention she was receiving.

“Do you have anyone here to get you home?” Welnich asked gently, “You must be tired Elanor, I can drive you back.”

“My brother is here.” Lani told Welnich quietly as she pointed to the significantly taller figure with dark curly hair who was chatting amongst some of the agents, “I appreciate the offer though, thank you.”

“Well, I guess I will see you back at the agency soon.” Welnich gave Lani a meek smile, “Take time to get back into everything. No one expects you to jump back into work straight away.”

“I would rather just get back to work.” Lani smiled back at her boss, “It would just be easier to forget everything and carry on with life. I hope to be in tomorrow, if I am given the all-clear now.”

“Good.” Welnich gave an approving nod, “I will catch up with you then.”

Lani nodded and left Welnich with as she raced over to the familiar figure with the dark and curly hair. Joffrey’s tall height was a measure that put Lani’s petite size to shame. Wrapping her arms around her brother was hard enough let alone stretching her neck to see the face she had missed for years.

“Lani,” Joffrey turned around and gave his little sister a pat on the head, “If only you had told me about all of this. I would have looked after you; you didn’t need to get into this mess of a government.” He sighed tiredly as he did a 180 degree turn to fully face Lani.

“It was my choice to become an agent, not from pressure, not for money but for curiosity.” Lani muttered as she gently held onto her brother’s hand, “I just want to go home now and talk, if that is alright with you.”