Chapter 35 - A Truce, a Talk-Show and Toris

Chapter 35

(A/N: Warning: Language).

It was extremely awkward sitting across the table from someone who had stolen your kidneys. Trust me, I wouldn't recommend trying it and yet here I was doing exactly that. Natalya hardly looked up from her bowl of cornflakes. I hardly looked up from my three pieces of toast and two bowls of cornflakes.

Alfred and Natalya had fought all night. She had seen the kiss prank and hadn't been happy. Alfred had left earlier in the morning to half get away from Natalya and half because the White House needed him. No one had discussed the incident with me.

"I suppose I had that coming." Natalya broke the silence as she looked across the table at me.

I finished chewing a bite of toast before I spoke, "What? Me kissing your boyfriend to make up for the grievous bodily harm you caused me?"

"Da." Natalya nodding as she ate another spoonful of cornflakes.

"Wow, you are even more messed up than I thought." I shook my head in disbelief at what my arch nemesis was saying.

"Maybe." Natalya smiled a little, "But Taishya, we are on the same side, you know."

"What side's that?" I asked, "The take-kidneys-out-of-those-who-cross-our-paths side?"

"No, we both hold my brother's best interests in our hearts." Natalya quietly, "Or rather, we used to."

"If this is some attempt to become my friend, I am not buying it." I stated a-matter-of-factly as I started on my second piece of toast.

"It is not, believe me." Natalya frowned, "I don't like you Taishya, but I think we can agree to not like each other and get along for the sake of everyone."

"Why? You don't like revenge getting back at you? Or is it because you actually are starting to grow moral values?" I raised an eyebrow.

"They all think that I love him, you know?" Natalya smirked a little and chuckled, "I suppose I do but not in the way all those little fans want me to love him. I mean I am a country, not an incest-driven monster."

"So?" I frowned, "What? You just wanted to hunt a person down and I was chosen at random?'

"No," Natalya sighed, "I think I was always overprotective of my family. They raised me so I grasped their care. It took me decades to get used to Ukraine and Canada's relationship and then there was my brother who had fallen in love, head over heels, for a human-teenager. That hardly felt right but then that human teenager started seeing other people and I didn't want to see my brother get hurt so I took matters into my own hands."

"No one told you about a top-secret mission?" I rolled my eyes, "How 'surprising'?"

"No, they did not." Natalya laughed a little, "I think I wanted an excuse to hurt you. When you went on that mission, I could not see that it was anything but a betrayal to my brother. After the incident in the UN Building, I got help-a lot of it. I realized I had gone too far."

"And you expect me to do what with this information?" I asked, as I dunked my spoon into the bowl of cornflakes, "Are you trying to give me the guilt that I went too far too? That I got too close to my targets and technically did betray your brother?"

"It's not my place to judge." Natalya shrugged, "I know deep down you care about Russia. If you didn't you would not be so gloomy and 'hung up' about him, Taishya."

"It's none of your business." I sighed. I really wasn't going to buddy up to Natalya and frankly I didn't believe a word that was coming out of her mouth-as far as I was concerned, it was all bull.