Chapter 26 - France du Lac

Chapter 26

The familiar smell of antiseptic filled my nostrils as I opened my eyes. Darn antiseptic; it was an all too familiar scent.

I sat up abruptly and surprised myself in doing so. I was not dead and I was not immobile so what was I? Could I feel my toes? Check! Could I move my legs? Check! Were my organs still intact? It seemed like it. My fingers were all intact…I could move my shoulders but my left arm was in a plaster cast…

I looked over to my left and rolled my eyes as my vision was met with Francis Bonnefoy. Greeeaaaat…

“I am so sick of waking up in hospital because of you guys.” I grimaced as I began to pull out different tubes and attachments to my arms.

“I would not do that just yet.” Francis said calmly as he tossed a newspaper aside which had been placed on his lap.

“I survived that crash, didn’t I?” I said stubbornly as I pushed a few light covers aside, “I can survive anything.”

“Oui but you ‘ave a bit of a gash on your ‘ead and your arm is broken.” Francis pointed out casually.

“How many days have passed?” I asked as I stood up and felt pretty proud of myself for not doing a Bambi imitation.

Francis did not have as much faith in my legs as I had put it them. As soon as I had stood up, he jumped out of his seat and stood in a relatively close proximity with his hands extended outward as if he expected me to topple over.

“How many days has it been, Francis?” I repeated, this time a little more sternly.

“One and a ‘alf.” Francis said slowly as he looked at his watch.

“Right, well that’s more than enough time to spend in a hospital.” I said as I walked to the door, “I’ll see you when I see you.”

“Non!” Francis dashed between the door and me, “You cannot leave yet, Taishya. What if there was something more wrong with you? There are precautions that should be taken.”

“There are plenty of things wrong with me, Francis. I don’t need a doctor to point them out.” I half laughed as I reached for the door knob only for Francis to block it.

“You cannot leave when you are still in you ‘ospital gown.” Francis pointed out and I looked down to see what he meant.

It was good to see I still had a bump on my abdomen—something that had not even crossed my mind up until now.

“So the baby is alright?” I asked as I felt my heart jump a few paces in speed. How could I have not thought about the darn baby!? Geez, I was totally ‘mother-to-be of the year’ material.

“The doctors said it is fine.” Francis nodded, “I ‘ad to tell them that the baby is mine as they were a bit freaked out as to why it was still alive. They ‘ave been sworn to secrecy though and are not permitted to discuss that you are pregnant to the general public.”

“And Hass?” I gulped a little as I remembered the last moment I had seen him, “Is he dead?”

Gupta,” Francis corrected me, “and non, Gupta is not dead but ‘e was close to it.”

“I want to see him than.” I said with a hard hit of determination as I looked at the door, “And Francis, I want you to please explain all this ‘Gupta’ crap because I know this isn’t as straightforward as I had hoped it to be.”

“Oui, it isn’t.” Francis nodded a little reluctantly as he turned the door knob.

For some reason, Francis seemed to look a little older perhaps due to stress or maybe tiredness? There was no physical change in his face, but his eyes looked exhausted and I was left feeling quite sympathetic for him. He must have suffered the past few days, especially because of the attack which was slowly creepy back into my memories.