The Sadness Will Never End

Chapter Twenty-Two: The Sadness Will Never End

THREE MONTHS LATER

KARA

"How are you and Oli after the social media situation?"

Dr Iero closed his notebook as another one of our sessions had finished and leaned back in his chair casually. I shrugged my shoulders as I slid on my coat and looked down at my stomach which had grown a lot in these three months.

"We're stronger because of it. If either of us has an issue we sit down and talk to each other, no more hiding behind our own walls. It's nice to know I've got that extra safety blanket as has Oli."

Dr Iero nods and a smile ghosts his lips.

"I'm proud of your progress Kara, I think I'll be recommending you end these sessions soon. You've confronted your past and are building a strong future; I'm happy how quickly you've opened up to me."

"If the babies a boy we might call him Frank."

Dr Iero chuckles and shakes his head as I laugh at my own joke.

"It's a kind thought, Kara. I'll see the same time next week."

I nod and leave his office; Dr Iero was more of a friend than my shrink. He had the answers to questions which confused me and had seen me at my worst and at my best. Maybe I could convince Oli to call the baby Frank, though he'd probably find that kind of strange so I'd keep the thought to myself for now.

In the hallway I wasn't really looking where I was walking when I collided into someone, luckily neither of us stumbled or fell over.

"Shit, I'm sorry I wasn't looking where I was going."

"Neither was I don't worry about it, I'm pretty sure our babies bumped against each other."

The girl's voice was familiar. When I looked up I locked eyes with Hannah, we hadn't seen each other since she invited me out to apologise. She smiles before rubbing her baby bump which was bigger than mine.

"Hannah, long time no see. How are you and the baby?"

Hannah throws her head back and laughs warmly.

"Turns out I'm having twins, the first baby was covering the first one on the scan. I thought one would be a handful, but now it looks like I'll have two bundles of joy to raise."

"Congratulations. As far as I'm aware I've only got the one inside me. Are you here for a scan?"

She nods and motions over her shoulder where a tall guy was signing a piece of paper at the nurses counter.

"He's the dad, he's been really good to me. I'm still sorry for all the hassle I caused you and Oli. Are you here for a scan as well, where's Oli? He's still avoiding my messages and calls."

Oli didn't want Hannah in his life anymore and I didn't have the heart to tell her face to face that he was purposely ignoring her calls and messages; he was still annoyed I met up with her. I open my mouth to tell her but shut it again before looking down at my shoes.

"Err he's not here because I'm not here for a scan. I've been having therapy sessions actually."

I flinch slightly as I feel a hand touch my shoulder, I recognise Hannah's tattoos.

"You don't have to tell me Kara if you don't want to, I won't pry."

She sounded sincere, maybe I should tell her. Dr Iero suggested it would be a good way to get closure since I'd made my amends with Oli and the rest of the band. I sigh and look up trying to keep the tears back.

"Before I found out I was pregnant or with Oli I dated a really nice guy, but it turned out he was having an affair with my underage secretary. Oli found out and told me and I flipped at both of them, Oli said some cruel words and I tried to kill myself but Jordan and Emma found me in time."

Hannah's eyes widened as the pieces started to fall into place. Was she finally putting two and two together? I decided to close the gap.

"You had it right when I tried to take my life in high school; it was because of you and Oli. I'd kept all my emotions hidden for eleven years and Dr Iero helped me talk about it. It was hard at first recounting all the bullying, but once I confronted it I was able to put that part of my past behind me and focus on the future."

Tears ran down Hannah's cheek as she gasped and covered her mouth with her hand. Pregnancy had changed her; if this was the Hannah I knew in high school maybe we could have been friends.

"I was jealous of you Kara because you were best friends with Oli. I knew you'd attempted but I didn't think we were the cause; I assumed you were a depressed little scene kid because of how quiet and down you were. I'm sorry. Do you know why you attempted it again?"

Hannah did the last thing I expected and pulled me into a hug as best as she could with our baby bumps. The gesture was sweet and appreciated; maybe she was really trying to make amends unlike when I questioned her motives three months ago. I hug her back before pulling away and rummage around in my bag before producing a packet of tissues and offer her one, which she takes with a smile.

"High school was a long time ago Hannah, we're both going to be mums and are with guys who love us. I accept your apology, I'm happy the past is behind me now. Well, I better get going, we should meet up again. I hope your scan goes well and the babies are healthy Hannah."

"I hope you and Oli have a healthy baby as well, maybe they'll be in school together. But this time around we'll make sure their friends and not enemies. Have a good day Kara."

I waved at Hannah before walking around her towards the exit of the hospital. I use to think 'the sadness will never end' but I had a new outlook on life and buried that quote a long time ago. All the doors from my past were now closed; I'd locked the doors and thrown away the keys. Now I only had to care about was my soon to be family with Oli.

As I made my way to the car I felt my phone vibrate in my coat pocket, I paused and sat down on a nearby bench so that I wasn't walking in the road like an idiot just asking to be hit by a car. I had a message off Jordan.

Jordan: Are you at the shop yet mate? We can't wait forever

Jordan never called me mate; he must have messaged the wrong person.

Kara: I think you've sent this message to the wrong person Jordan x

Jordan: Crap I meant to send this to Oli...How was this week's session?

The hesitation made me think Jordan was keeping something from me, I mean Oli told me earlier he had work to do at home for the business, so why was Jordan asking if he was at the shop? The question about my session was to distract me, yes Jordan cared but he always asked me in person and never over the phone. But I wouldn't push it any further; guys were allowed the odd little secret.

Kara: Dr Iero said I can stop the sessions soon because I've got closure and he thinks I'm no longer a threat to myself which is good news x Have a good day mate x

JORDAN

I was an idiot for sending the message to Kara by mistake; I must have hit her contact instead of Oli's. Luckily she didn't suspect anything because I was good at covering up. I was thrilled she'd be stopping therapy soon; she really needed to focus on getting everything ready for the new arrival as Oli was.

Speaking of her idiot boyfriend he was late. Maybe I was a few minutes early, but it was called being organised. Oli had asked me to come out ring shopping with him; he loved Kara and wanted his family to be complete. I was asked because I was already married and dubbed the most mature. Emma was just as excited about the news as me but swore to keep it a secret from Kara. Oli and Kara were meant to say 'I Do'.