And The Snakes Start To Sing

Chapter Twenty-Four: And The Snakes Start To Sing

2 MONTHS LATER

KARA

"Hi love, is it okay if your father and I come over along with Mr and Mrs Sykes?"

I stare down at my phone in disbelief, my mum sounded a little too happy. To say I was confused would be an understatement; because she hadn't really spoken to me since I told her the good news that Oli and I were engaged.

"Err Oli's at the shop, why do you four need to come over?"

"It's probably better if Oli's not there dear, you'll be a lot easier to convince without that boy getting inside your head. We'll be over in ten."

Before I could protest she hung up the phone on me, what did she mean by convincing me? My first instinct was to lock the front door so they couldn't walk in, and my second instinct was to ring Oli to see if he knew why his parents wanted to come over.

I sit on the sofa and rub my bulging belly and dial Oli's number if my parents were up to something I wanted him here. Mum said Oli gets inside my head and makes me do things I don't want to do when in reality that's all she's ever done to me over the years.

"Kara, are you okay?"

Oli's voice was enough to calm my nerves. In the background, I could hear him typing, so he was probably in his office and had me on the loudspeaker.

"Oli can you come back to the house, please? It's nothing to do with the baby or at least I think it isn't. My mum just rang and invited herself, my father and your parents around in like ten minutes."

The typing stops "She hasn't tried to speak to you since we told her we were engaged. Did she say why my parents were coming over?"

I shake my head knowing he can't see me "I told her that you were out, but then my mum said something about it being easier to convince me to do something without you here to get inside my head."

"What is she up to? And how did she manage to drag my parents into her plan? They are supportive of us."

Oli sounded just as confused as me. I didn't know what my mum was capable of when she put her mind to something. I glance at the clock anxiously.

"Do I let them in when they arrive? I'm kind of scared to Oli."

"I'm coming back now. I'll park at the end of the street and come in through the back door."

I sigh in relief knowing I won't have to face the parents alone. I hang up on Oli and try to calm myself down because stress could be bad for the baby. On the coffee table, my phone goes off again and I roll my eyes thinking it's Oli, only to pick it up to read Dr Iero's name on the caller ID. Why was he ringing me? Our last session was last week.

"Hi Frank, err this call is a surprise."

On the other end, the doctor chuckles "Yes it is, sorry to ring you but I had the strangest phone call earlier off your mother."

I quirk an eyebrow, why would mum be ringing my doctor? Now I was interested, did this have something to do with the visit?

"What did she tell you?"

"Remember we swapped our last meeting to Monday because I couldn't do Thursday? Well, she rang up in hysterics saying you'd relapsed last Monday and must have kept it from me in our Thursday meeting because you didn't want to be locked up in the crazy house."

If my jaw could hit the floor it would have. Why would my mum tell my doctor that I'd relapsed when I had done no such thing? The only people who knew the appointment had changed was Oli, his band, and Emma so my mum still assumed my last meeting was on a Thursday.