What You Need

Chapter Nineteen: What You Need

2 WEEKS LATER

KARA

Oli was suspicious; it was obvious that he knew something was going on because he hardly let me out of his sight. Sure, I might have become a little paranoid and stopped the sex but Dr Iero assured me that I was just thinking of the baby inside me. I just wanted to get the DNA results so I could share the good news with Oli. Half of my therapy sessions with Dr Iero were about my guilt of not telling Oli, and the other half were about making process with confronting my past.

I was getting ready for my therapy session and Oli lay on the bed watching me get dressed. I'd started to put on some weight and joked with Oli that it was his cooking making me fat; he just told me I was beautiful. My phone was on the bedside table charging and I didn't think anything of it until it vibrated and Oli picked it up.

"What the hell is this about Kara?"

I'd just managed to zip up my skinny jeans and from the tone of Oli's voice, he was upset. Chewing my lip I turn around and catch the phone he throws at me, there was a new message off Dr Iero.

Dr Iero: Good morning Kara the results are back and it looks like good news

"What results? Does this have something to do with the no sex? Tell me the truth, Kara."

I sigh and put the phone back on the bedside table and sit on the edge of the bed. Oli wraps his arms around my waist and rests his chin on top of my head. It was now or never.

"Oli remember my sickness, it wasn't a bug or a cold. I threw up in Dr Iero's office and he made me get a scan. It turned out I was pregnant, I wanted to tell you but after the Hannah scandal, I got scared and had Dr Iero do a DNA test. Doing the math the baby has to be yours but I didn't want to tell you until I got the results back. That's what the message was about, the DNA results come back today."

Oli's grip around my waist tightens and I was scared to turn around to meet his eye. I look straight ahead at the wardrobe as the silence engulfs us. The grip loosens and Oli detaches himself from me before I feel the bed dip indicating he'd gotten up.

"Say something Oli."

He crouches down in front of me and cups my chin before lifting it gently so I had to look him in the eyes. I couldn't see any anger, but Oli was great at hiding his emotions when he wanted to.

"We better get to the hospital then love, I want to be there when the results are printed. You're the only girl I want to have a child with Kara, sure I would have liked to know earlier but I understand your intentions. I love you."

He kisses me and brushes a stray strand of hair off of my face. There was a small smile on his lips, maybe I didn't have as much to worry about in the first place as I first thought. Now I just wanted to get the results so Oli and I could share the news with our friends and family.

~Hospital~

OLI

Kara and I sit in the examination room as Dr Iero types something into a computer and a printer whirls to life. I wanted nothing more than to be a dad, I didn't think I'd get the opportunity so soon after Hannah but now it looked like all the sex Kara and I had been having had paid off.

"Here you go Oli, the result is positive on you being the father."

Dr Iero hands me the piece of paper and I see the percentage circled stating that there was a 100% match to my DNA. I was going to be a dad; Kara was going to be a mum. Together we were going to be the best parents a child could ever wish for.

"I'll have the nurse do a scan so we can get you a sonogram image Oli. Congratulations you two, I'll leave you alone."

All I can do is nod as Dr Iero stands up and squeezes my shoulder before leaving the room. Kara relaxes on the table and rubs her belly, now I knew why she'd been putting on some weight.

"Oli, we made a baby. There is a mini us growing inside me."

"We sure did and I couldn't be happier Kara."

I stand up and put my hand over hers on her belly. My parents were going to be over the moon when they heard. Kara's parents on the other hand still hadn't warmed up to us, well her dad had but her mum still hated me.

A nurse knocks on the door before walking in pushing the ultrasound machine. I think I was more excited to see the baby than Kara because Kara had to squeeze my hand to calm me down as the nurse put the gel on her stomach.

"Calm your tits, Oliver."

She grins at me and I smirk and shake my head while the nurse gives us an odd look. We probably weren't the typical new parents she was use to doing ultrasounds on.

"Oh, I'm calm Kara just excited. I'm going to spoil this child."

"Of course, you are Oliver."

The machine hums to life and we fall into a comfortable silence as the nurse turns off the light and puts the machine on Kara's stomach. My eyes are glued to the screen hoping to catch a glimpse of my unborn child. I had no clue what I was looking for.

"The baby appears to be healthy, you can see the outline right here."

The nurse points at the screen and I could have sworn all I saw was a blob, how the hell she knew the baby was healthy in blob form escaped me.

"Thank you, nurse, do you think it's possible to get a few copies so we can give them to friends and family?"

The nurse nods in Kara's direction and starts to print off images.

"Why do we need multiple copies?"

"Because we can do something cute with them as a pregnancy announcement Oliver."

Okay, now I understood. The nurse hands me the images and I had to stop myself from crying as I run my thumb over the little blob, mine, and Kara's little blob. I wanted this pregnancy to go off without a hitch; it looked like Kara was going to have to deal with overprotective Oliver.

"Can we get out of here Oli? I kind of want to go home and rest."

"Yes, we can love, come on let me help you."

Kara smiles and shakes her head as I help her off the table. I had a feeling she was going to let me play the protective card because it meant a lot to me. she was my one of a kind girl and I never wanted her to leave me, it was obvious what I had to do next.