Can You Feel My Heart

Chapter Nine: Can You Feel My Heart

3 WEEKS LATER

KARA

If you could feel my heart you'd see it break every time someone mentioned Hannah's and Oli's baby. Emma dropped the bombshell while she was telling me about the guy she was setting me up with. Well, there went my dreams of Oli and I together down the drain. I needed to move on and this blind date seemed like the perfect excuse. All I knew about the guy was he was called Dan and had short blonde hair, I was meeting him at a bar in a restaurant and then we were having a nice meal.

I had gone over to Emma's to get ready, and Jordon who had never met Dan was giving me the dad safety talk. These two were like my parents, Emma loved playing dress up like I was her own personal doll and scolded Jordan when he spoilt me. They never mentioned Oli when I was the same room, but that didn't stop me from overhearing their not so silent conversation while I was in the kitchen pouring Emma and I another glass of wine.

"The DNA test has to be fake, there's no way Oli's the dad Jordan. Hannah has slept with so many people around the same time. It seems pretty convenient that she drops the news the day Oli was heading over to break up with her so he could get with Kara."

The wine glass nearly falls out of my hand, if what Emma was saying was true then Oli did want a relationship with me that was more than just about great sex. I told him in my last message that as long as he was with Hannah we couldn't be more than friends and he needed to make his mind up on what he wanted. I now felt kind of bad about ignoring his messages and calls over these last couple of weeks. I press my ear against the divider hoping to hear Jordan's response and he didn't disappoint.

"Don't you have that friend at the hospital? Surely he can confirm if the test was faked. If it's real then we support both Oli and Kara, but if it's fake then we get the two of them together pronto."

People only faked DNA tests in TV shows and films, I never once considered someone doing it in real life. But I couldn't get my hopes up; there was a higher chance of the results being real. I grab the second wine glass and plaster a fake smile on my face as I re-enter the living room.

"Sorry, I took my time I got a message from Max asking if I'd take one of his clients off him because he's swamped next week."

I wasn't lying, Max had messaged me earlier. Emma nods seeming satisfied with my answer as she takes her glass out of my hand.

"Are you excited about tonight? Dan is lovely and not some secret serial killer as Jordan thinks."

I laugh and Jordan rolls his eyes.

"I'm allowed to be protective. Who else is going to give me tattoos at a reduced friend's rate?"

I scoff and throw a cushion at him which hits him square in the face. Emma nearly falls off the sofa laughing.

"Oh, my sweet Jordan getting beat up by a girl."

He shoots me the finger making me laugh.

"As soon as the date is over I want you to ring me when you get home so I know you're safe."

I roll my eyes as I slip my phone into the clutch bag Emma had let me borrow.

"Yes, mum."

"Don't sass your mother Kara."

I stand up and walk over to Jordan and hug him.

"Love you too dad."

The three of us had a very strange relationship. I needed this date to go well so I could stop thinking about Oli and Hannah. Dan could be my chance at happiness and I wouldn't let something that probably wasn't real ruin it for me.