Chapter Eleven: Mixed Messages And A First Christmas

CHAPTER ELEVEN

I was gasping and out of breath by the time I appretated home. This was all so alarmig and eye opening, not to mention frightening. I ran all the way back to the castle and burst through the front doors, red faced and heart beating loud in my chest. I gasped for air in the chilly area, my throat stinging from the cold. I looked around. Empty. Nightgown newer and I nodded, heading to the stairs, where I could hide out in my room. I was still paranoid that father would come after me, burst right onto the school and turn it upside down in search for me.

As I made my way up the stairs, I ran into someone: Dumbledore. He eyed me, worry greasing his old weathered face. I took one look at him before bursting into tears. He took me into his arms and patted my back soothingly. "Tell me what happened, Claudinia." He calmly ordered, and I nodded against his chest. I pulled back and wiped my sloppy face with the heels of my hands. I sat down on my suitcase.

"When I got home, father was asleep. But then he woke up, and I made him some coffee. We were speaking, and I let it slip that I got a cat... He got so angry and demanded where I was hiding her... I knew he would do something horrid to her, so I told him I wouldn't say... He hit me, and then kicked me... A-and... I used a spell on him... And he came after me because he didn't have his wand... So I used Occlumency on him in a state of panic... I saw my m-mother... He called me a freak... They were yelling at one another over me... Then when it was over father was crying... He wouldn't even look at me... So I ran..." I ended my story, tears spilling from my eyes. I had began to cry half way through my explaination.

Dumbledore, nodding silently to show he understood, helped me up to my feet. I heard footsteps then, and Dumbledores eyes looked above my head at someone else. "Ah, Severus." I spun on my heels to face the new arrival. Professor Snape stood ridged and looked from Dumbledore down to me, deep onyx eyes aghast. I felt my head light up with his approach. What would he think? Would he be proud of me, that I was able to not hesitate when it mattered most? Angry that I got myself into that kind of situation?

He just stood there. Only a second after I turned to look at him, withot a second though, I ran to him and hurled myself into his chest. I felt tears well up, once again, back into my leaf green eyes. I dot know why I ran to Professor Snape like I did, it just felt... Safe. I felt as though this man could offer me protection, and I could confide in him. Memories of the other day in his classroom flooded Ito my mind after the fact, though , nonetheless, I didnt fell awkward in the slightest way.

"Professor! I d-did it! I-I didn't hesitate!" I stammered through my tears. Slowly but surely, I felt the confused man lightly put his arms around me in return, hesitantly. He patted my back clammy as Dumbledore had. I think perhaps the tears that flowed from my orb like eyes than became tears of joy. I felt so proud, so accomplished. So happy he was retiring my embrace, even though it was ever so lightly. What Dumbledore had told me yesterday returned to my mind.

Then, Professor Snape pulled me back by my shoulders and took one look at me. "What are you blubbering about, insolent girl? And what happened to your eye?" He returned to his rough extiriored self, and I reached up and touched the skin around my eye. I pulled back and winced. "Farher..." I trailed off in my answer.

Professor Snape became outraged. "You father cannot get away with such unwarranted violence!" He growled. He pushed me aside and strides closer to Dumbledore. Eyes wide with his unexpected response, I cleaned my face with my jacket. The cold weather had forced me into a pair of blackskinny jeans and a deep amethyst shirt that's sleeves went down to my elbows, white stripes on the torso and solid purple on the arms. I had on so a black knit hooded jacket. My curls were matted down my grey knit cap, ropes hanging down from each side on my ears. I had on my black boots.