Chapter Five: Eavsedropping

CHAPTER FIVE

"So, your a Slytherin?" Asked Ginny Weasly. I nodded. "You don't act much like one." She commented. Ronald exclaimed her name, and the twins chuckled. "I only mean to say that she isn't rude and concited! She's quiet." Ginny rephrased in defense.

I felt my lips quirk. "Well, they do say it's the silent ones to look out for." George noted mysteriously. Fred joined in with ghostly noises, and Ron told them to "Shuttup" with an annoyed edge to his tone. I giggled. "Well, honestly, I'm not sure why I was placed in Slytherin. I don't really fit in any of the houses. I'm not brave like a Gryffindor. Or sly like a Slytherin. Nor am I calm and content like a Hufflepuff or intelligent like a Ravenclaw." I explained. I though this often, but never really spoke of it until now. I felt like an utter outcast. I didn't belong anywhere.

They begged to differ. "Nonsense! Your the most intelligent sixth year at Hogwarts!" Hermione commented. "And the most calm girl we know." Fred and George noted in perfect unison. In truth, they may be right. But that still didn't explain why I was in Slytherin house. "Why do you rhinitis Sorting Hat placed me in Slytherin house, then?" I asked aloud. No one had an answer, but after a moment, Hermione said something. "The Sorting Hat always knows what it's doing. You must have some good reason to be in the house it placed you in." She reminded us all. But what could my reason be? What was the importance of putting me in this house? How could it make a difference to my destiny, anyways?

"Maybe you should ask the Sorting Hat." Harry said at last. Ask the Sorting Hat... That was actually a brilliant plan. If I simply asked the hat why it placed me in Slytherin house when I obviously don't belong, then I would no longer have to wonder the reason. It's perfect. The only flaw is getting to the hat. It is placed on a high shelf in Headmaster Dumbledores office. No way I could get to it in there.

"How do you plan to ask the hat? I mean, it IS in Dumbledores office after all." Neville questioned, speaking aloud the same segway swarming in my own mind. No one had an answer to that one. "Perhaps I'll just ask him one day." I mumbled, and we contently ate our dinner.

Though I was admittedly a bit frightened of whatever answer I would get.

As Potions class ended on Monday, I gathered my things to leave. There was no way Professor Snape would care to give me another lesson. Not after last time. Nevertheless, he called my name before I left, his deep icy voice sending chills on my arms. At first J though maybe he would chastise me about Occlumency lessons on Friday, but he gestured for me to sit instead. I did so willingly and quickly.

"Miss Vitrosis, if you are quite serious about this lack of courage, then I suggest you learn to peek out of that shell when being bullied. I will not waste my time on this nonsense if you will not display it."

What...? Did he mean yesterday when I wasn't able to speak up when Draco and his goons were demanding me around? Did he see that? I ducked my head down, embarrassed. "I know, Professor. I will stand up for myself next time. I just wasn't sure what to do." not a compleat lie. Professor Snape shook his head and sighed. "Pull out your wand, Miss Vitrosis. In that situation, pull out your wand." I recalled Draco pointing his wand in the twins faces yesterday. I could do that. "What if they aren't scared? What do I do then?"

"Cast a spell." He growled. A spell... I could do that. But what spell? I'm not the kind to get in a fight. Something harmless? A binding spell? Father would be very angry if he ever found out I was in a brawl at school...

"What spell? Wouldn't I get in trouble and punished?" I knew he, being the head of my house, would punish anyone of us Slytherins for fighting in school. But here he was, suggesting it to me. Confusion willed my head. "Use a harmless spell. Stick his tongue to the roof of his mouth, or make him vomit slugs." He told me. Well, that sounded great, only vomiting slugs didn't sound so harmless. Never mind that though, I had training to do.

"And another thing," Snape caught my attention from images of me making Draco Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson vomit slimy slugs. I looked up. "Don't do it in a place with many people. Never in a class, or at the commons. Outdoors is best."

I couldn't believe the head of my house and my Potions master was giving me advice on how to fight and not get caught. This was a dream. I nodded, coolly up defensive spells. The tongue one sounded perfect. Enough to make him shut up, and scare him off. That way, he couldnt cast a spell back on me. Professor Snape began the lesson.

The Sorting hate idea had been humming in my thoughts all day. I just couldn't get it out of my head. Should I just go to his office and ask if I can speak to the Sorting Hat? What if he says no? What if he asks why? Could I lie to Dumbledore? Even if I could, wouldn't he be able to tell? Knowing that man, he would be able to read it all off manlike an open book, anyways...

It's settled. I'll just go to his office and ask. Just simply ask him if I may speak with the hat. If he asks why, I'll tell him the truth. I want to know why I became a Slytherin and not something else. There was that and only that. Simple enough... Right?

The lesson from Professor Snape was over now, and, after a deep inhale and exhale, I headed over to Dumbledores office. Up the stairs, I heard a murmur of voices. Now, I knew better than to eavesdrop. However, in this case, I couldn't help myself. I pressed my ear as close as I could. I overheard Dumbledores and Snapes voices.

"-know better." Dumbledore finished. Snapes voice was more harsh and urgent. "I understand this, Dumbledore. Do you think I am unaware of the consequences of my actions?" He snapped. Dumbledore, nevertheless, was calm as ever. "I know you understand. But I also know you, Severus. I know nothing can stand in the way of things, and that whatever is meant to happen will, no matter what I say, and no matter what you do. But I'm warning you now: this is wrong."

Wrong? What was going on here? What were they talking about? I continued to listen in. "I know, Albus. I won't give her these lessons any longer." My lessons! They were speaking of my lessons! Had Professor Snape gotten in trouble due to my silly little lessons after class? I had gotten him in a bad situation... He will be so angry with me. What if they tell my father? How could I deal with it? Yet, knowing Professor Snape would be angry with me gave my chest a tight squeeze. "That won't help, Severus. I think you will have to-"

"Wait!" I burst into the room without thinking, and instantly covered my mouth with both hands, regretting my intrusion. Great. Now they knew I had been spying. They both simply stared at me for a moment, without words. "Ah, Claudinia. Just the object of our conversation." Dumbledore said without a hint of annoyance. "I... I know, I heard... I... Am sorry for eavesdropping Headmaster and Professor... I... Please do not tell my father..." my voice began to blank in and out, worry clouding my vocal cords. My voice got shaky along with my knees, and Dumbledore approached me, laying his hands on my shoulders.

"Don't worry, dear. This isn't a matter of which I would have to notify your father of. Now tell me, how much did you hear?" He asked me nicely, sitting me down in a soft plump red mahogany chair. I looked at him, then to Professor Snape, then back to him again. "Only about my lessons. And I'm so sorry if I got Professor Snape in any sort of trouble- I was stupid to ask for extra lessons- I don't need them... If Professor Snape will get in trouble... J-just forget them..."

Dumbledore chuckled and shook his head. "You can still have your lessons, Claudinia." he told me. My head shot up. Really? Why? Were they not just speaking of them being a nuisance? Why give them back? But Dumbledore strode back to his desk, where he dismissed Professor Snape, who silently and willingly rushed off. I wonder...

Dumbledore turned back to me. "Now, what did you need to ask me?"

I did a double take. How did he know I had to ask him something? "H-how..." I trailed off. Dumbledore chuckled again, touching his silvery beard absentmindedly. "You did come up here for a reason, yes? Ask away."

I nodded. "I was wondering... Can I, perhaps... If it's no trouble... Speak with the Sorting Hat?" I awaited questioning, but he simply swept a hand to a tall shelf. "Of course." And then got up to leave.

I strode over to the tall shelf, stacked to the top full of volumes and volumes of dusty books, and looked up where the old ragged brown hat sat unmoving.