Chapter Two: Occlumency And Scars

CHAPTER TWO

Professor Snape took a few steps back, and I wondered if this was such a grand idea, after all. "Um... P-Professor Snape..." He silenced me, holding up his wand.

"Use an attack spell on me." He demanded. I opened my mouth to resist, but decided against it. after all, he really didn't come off as the negotiable type, and I was already feeling highly unwelcome. So, I retrieved my wand from my sock where I had tucked it for safekeeping. I pointed it at him. "STUPEFY!" I shouted, surprised by the tone of my own voice. He quickly moved out of range, and shot back a spell.

"PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!"

Suddenly, my entire body went ridged. I felt binded and, losing my balance, swayed a bit before falling to my side on the hard stone floor, head bouncing painfully on it. I winced, but refused to show pain in front of him, biting down on my lip for a moment to resist any tears. I asked for this, after all, so I couldn't very well start crying before the lesson even began.

Professor Snape approached me, looking down with some dissaproval. "Bind your enemy. Make them immobilized, so they are unable to attack you." He signed, and I felt my lower lip quiver a little in hurt and mortification. "It's a simple spell." He added, and I felt increasingly adept.

After setting me free, he showed me a few other defense spells, which I caught on to easily. This was doing well so far. I've already learned so much, yet I know I have a ways way to go. We stopped an hour before dinner. "That is it for today." He announced, tucking his want away. A light sheen of sweat had formed on my forehead, yet he was unmarred by fatigue. It was incredible; as if he was so far into mastery of magic. everyone thought he was an old decrepit man, though no one was sure of his age. Mid thirties, maybe?As far as I knew, his age was a mystery. yet, he was calm and collected, as if simply rising from his desk chair. As I gathered my things, my old leather one strapped bag and a textbook for all my classes that I write notes in often to help me, I turned to him.

"I very much appreciate the assistance, Professor Snape. Thank you so much." I smiled at him, and he nodded before ducking into a pile of fresh papers to grade. I couldn't tell if this was a good or bad thing, though I thought that perhaps it was normal.

"Have a good afternoon, Miss Vitrosis." He said dismissivly. I was able to take a hint. Bowing at the waist to him, I set off out the doors. It was something.

"You too, Professor." I mumbled, hardly audible, as I left the classroom.

The next day we normal. I was unable to work up the nerve to sit with anyone at dinner the night before, or breakfast much earlier today. I suppose that will take more time-- I mean, Ive just began to brave the wilds and peek out of my shell. I'm not one with crowds, anyways, what with busting busybodies and loud commotion. But in Charms class, Hermione took the empty seat next to mine. After setting out her required things before her, she began a conversation.

"So, do you have any plans this weekend?" She asked me innocently. Plans? Me? She must already know the answer to that. I shook my head in response. A grin spread across her face and she shifted further to me, placing her clasped hands in front of herself. "Well, all of us are going to the Three Broomsticks this weekend. It would be nice if you came, too."

Was.... Was this an invitation to hang out? I've never gotten one of those before... What should even I say? How did people accept invitations humbly? Did I even want to go out? I mean, yes I did, but... Well, it's a bit soon. I didn't know of I could trust this girl. "I... I've never been..." I mumbled shyly.

Hermione seemed to have caught on to my vulnerability. "Oh, it will just be the four of us, of course. And the Butterbeer is spectacular. It would be so much fun." She urged. I was a bit caught off guard of her persistence of the matter, seeing as I was a lost cause. However, it made me feel empowered.